Prologue: Zibiah

The young girl skipped through the halls of Barimore Prep, her black shoes echoing throughout the empty hall.
Barimore Prep was a private boarding school divided into a boy's side and a girl's side. The tuition was steep, but the nuns were kind enough and the castle that the school resided in was furnished nicely. It started at age nine and continued all the way up to age eighteen, each age group being divided into different classes. The rules on gender were enforced strictly for the older students, but the younger ones weren't paid much mind because they simply were children.

The girl, Zibiah, wore a white blouse with a loose grey pinafore thrown over the top. There were slight wrinkles in it and it also contained the school crest: a dark green coat of arms with a number of ravens over it and swords crossing through. A pair of white tights and black dress shoes finished the look off. Zibiah's natural curls were pulled back into two pigtail poofs with white ribbons tied around them. Her dark brown skin complimented the uniform better than most, though there was always a part of it that was a bit messy. Zibiah was known for being on the wild side, even if she had a kind heart underneath. She just preferred playing and tumbling around rather than sipping tea and embroidery. The only lady-like thing that she did hold to was dancing. She was at the top of her ballet class and seemed to just get lost in the music. If not for her being the prodigy she was, it was possible that the school would have thrown her out by now. That, and the money her parents sent in.

It was twelve in the afternoon which meant two things. One, it was recess for the children. And two, it was Zibiah's personally scheduled time to sneak over to see her brother, Zyien. They had been doing this ritual since they had begun to attend Barimore Prep and most of the staff knew about it. It was against the school rules, but no one had the heart to tear the twins apart, so instead, they just turned a blind eye.
"Zy!" Zibiah grinned as she saw the outline of her brother, who was waiting on a bench in the hall for her. "Zy!"
The boy was wearing an outfit similar to her's, only in a masculine version. He wore a white shirt with a grey vest that housed the crest of the school. It was paired with black pants and black dress shoes. Unlike his sister, his outfit was completely neat and had no wrinkle in sight. A book was sitting in his lap, his hand moving to close it as he heard the sound of his sister's voice.
"Hello, Zibiah." He greeted, a smile appearing on his features. "Your dress is wrinkled... and you have dirt on your sleeve."

Zibiah glanced at the things he mentioned, only shrugging her shoulders. "And? Don't be so uptight, Zy. You sound like the nuns." She giggled, plopping down on the bench beside him.

Sitting directly beside each other, it was clear that they were twins. If not for the differences in gender-like features, they would be identical. Matching dark skin, nearly black irises, pointed noses, and plump lips. If not for the small layers of baby fat left, their jawlines and cheekbones would be sharp as a knife, just like their father's. Both children were even near the same height, towering over the rest of the children in their classes. Zibiah never minded being tall, though. She felt that it made people listen to her when she spoke.

Zyien picked up his sister's arm, gently brushing the dirt from her sleeve the best he could. "The nuns have a point, usually."

Zibiah rolled her eyes at his words, moving her free arm to grab his book. She squinted at the words, her head shaking slightly as she handed it back. It was boring, she knew that. Something about chemical imbalances? Zibiah didn't even know that a chemical was. She didn't care to know either.

Unlike her brother, Zibiah was not one for sitting still or engaging in academics. She did enough to pass, but not anything more than that.

Zyien snatched the book back up as it was returned to him, setting it on the bench on his free side and letting his sister's arm drop. He opened his mouth to speak before closing it at the sound of footsteps nearing them.