ONE

MYSTERY MEAT

a/n: italics means thoughts

Danny, Sam, Tucker and I all sat down on chairs in front of Mr Fenton as he talked to us about ghosts.
"So Danny, you and your little friends wanna hunt ghosts," he said, crossing his arms with a smirk.
"Uh, a-actually dad, I wanna be an astronaut!" Danny said with a sheepish smile. "Yeah, Mr Fenton, I'm kinda looking into [Career Choice]!" I said.
"Sorry Mr Fenton, I was into ghosts, but they're so mainstream now. They're like cellphones." Sam said while looking off to the side.
"Waste these looks and this charisma hunting ghosts? Criminal," Tucker put his hand on his hip.
"Well, if you do wanna hunt ghosts, there are a few things you need to learn!" Mr Fenton turned around to fiddle with the test tubes on the table, as we all sat quietly waiting for him to hurry up. How did we get here again?

I heard a gasp come from Danny as his ghost sense went off. His eyes widened. "Oh no, this isn't good..." He said, and we all watched as the portal opened its doors.
Two ghost octopi came flying out, roaring as they flew. They grabbed Sam and Tucker as I ran and hid behind my chair. "Aw man, just when I actually started listening to Mr Fenton..." I whined.

"True, I've never seen a ghost, but when I do, I'll be prepared, and so will you!" Mr Fenton told us, never looking away from the bench. Danny looked between his dad, Sam and Tucker, and me, before leaping in to fight the ghosts.
The fighting continued and Mr Fenton never stopped talking, none of us were listening since the fight was taking all of our attention. I jumped around, avoiding being hit as Danny fought the ghosts.
Sam and Tucker were thrown into their seats, and Mr Fenton approached them.
"Sam, Tucker, this is the Fenton Thermos! It's supposed to trap ghosts, but since it doesn't work yet it's just a thermos. A thermos with the word 'Fenton' in front of it!" He faced away again, and I sat myself down next to Sam as the ghosts retreated back into the portal. Danny de-transformed and leapt away from the portal in the nick of time.

"And that-," Mr Fenton gestured toward the portal, "-is the Fenton Portal. It releases ghosts into our world whether I want it to or not! Someday, I'll figure out how that works too!" I wonder where this family gets the funding for everything.

"Now, who wants to hunt some ghosts?" He said with pride, approaching a terrified Sam and shaking Tucker. Danny was puffed out from fighting and leaned on Tucker's seat. I was just sitting in my seat, trying to look as calm as possible.
"You kids, look at ya'! You're too excited to speak! So I'll just go on speaking!" Jeez, he has a lot to say. Mr Fenton began going on about his whole life tale, starting from the beginning. Danny put his head down as he caught his breath. I could already tell this was going to be a long, long week.

- he's a phantom -

"I think I should tell them," Danny said to us as we walked through the halls. We had this conversation a lot more than you'd think, but he seemed pretty worried about it this time, so I guess something must have happened.

"Why? Parents don't listen. Even worse, they don't understand. Why can't they accept me for who I am!" Sam yelled. Tucker and I gave her a confused glance as Danny frowned. "Sam, we're talking about Danny's powers. His problems?" I said, crossing my arms. Danny nodded. "O-oh! Right, me too..."

"It's been a month since the accident and I still barely have any control! I-if somebody catches me, I go from geek to freak around here!" Danny began to sink through the floor. "Kinda like what you're doing now?" Tucker asked. Danny panicked when he noticed and I wrapped my arms around him to lift him back up. "You're pretty light, ghost boy." He glared at me and I smiled back.

"Darn it! If my dad can invent something that accidentally made me half-ghost, why can't he invent something that turns me back to normal!" Danny's powers continued to act up, and he walked through a vending machine. He stopped walking when Sam ran in front of him, and I gently patted his shoulder. "Danny, your powers make you unique!" I said, trying to comfort him. "Unique is good!"