Chapter 11 - Breakfast at Casa de oro

ALICIA

When I woke up the following day, I could barely remember where I was. I blinked a couple of times, staring up at the chandelier, and pulled the fluffy duvet up to my chin. For a moment, my brain had forgotten about the horrible situation I was in, and I let myself sink into the warm embrace of the comfortable bed. But the short moment came to an end when I heard a knock on the door, and I sat up, still holding the duvet near my chin. I saw the door slide up and a man with bleached hair standing in the door, dressed in the same military pants and black tank as all the other men I'd seen the day before.

"Señorita Foster, you need to get dressed and be ready for breakfast in an hour."

My stomach let out a low gurgling sound, and I pulled up the duvet higher to ensure myself that the man didn't get a glimpse of any naked skin. I hadn't eaten anything since the morning before, and the little that I consumed came up after the chloroform poisoning. Even if the last thing I wanted was to see the man with the black eyes, I needed food to function, and if I didn't speak to him, how would I ever be able to get out of here? I nodded at the man at the door, and he turned around and walked out, once again locking the door behind him.

I slowly got out of bed and walked toward the bathroom. An hour wasn't a lot of time, but I should be able to squeeze in a quick shower.

After the shower, I researched the makeup vanity and used some mascara and perfume I found on it. I guess a part of me still wanted to look civil, but I had no desire to put gas on the flames of the man with the black eyes' desires. I'm not here to please him, and I intend to make that clear to him.

Going through the wardrobe was a never-ending struggle. All dresses, one fancier than the other, made me feel like I was going to the Nobel party and not a forced breakfast hosted by a kidnapper. I picked a black dress that ended right above the knee. It was probably worth more than my entire month's salary at the restaurant, but it was the simplest one I found. I threw a glance at myself in the mirror when I heard a knock on the door again.

It was time to go.

ARMANDO

Waiting for my breakfast company to show up, I watched raindrops rattle the windows in the vast dining room. April was blessing us with one of its random showers, and I watched the men patrolling the lawns swearing as their boots got stuck in the muddy soil. Soon, the showers would become more frequent as the wet season was coming up.

The maids were working quickly behind me, setting up the table with a breakfast that would make any five-star hotel jealous. Why not show her from the beginning what life at casa del oro is like? My thoughts were interrupted when I heard heavy boots behind me, and I turned around.

"Ah, Erick. Good." I dusted off my suit and looked behind him. She wasn't there yet.

"I want you to wait outside while I'm having breakfast with a guest. Once I'm done, I want you to escort my guest back to her room."

"Si, Capo."

I suddenly saw movement near the dining room entrance and gestured for him to leave.

"Bien, I'll call you when I'm done."

As Erick left, I threw another look at the dining room entrance and licked my lips subtly.

There she was.

She was standing in the doorway, and I could spot her fear all the way to where I was standing, observing her. She glanced around nervously, playing with her hands, and I smirked to myself.

Fear is healthy. If she fears me, she will be too scared to defy me. It's much easier to convince someone that is too afraid to not listen.

I straightened my suit and walked across the dining room to greet her. I gave her a look that should've been enough to understand that I appreciated her appearance even if I knew that there were far more exclusive dresses in that wardrobe. Of course, I'm not stupid. I know that as long as she has some of that own will left, she will try to express it.