the confession

Today was the last chance of the gang to hang out before they all go their separate ways. Sun-woo decided to go to medical school, Jung Hwan entered the airforce academy, and Deok-sun wanted to be a flight attendant. Of course, Taek stays as a baduk player and Dong-ryong was asked by his brother to help in the family restaurant business.

This was a sad day for the gang because they've been together like family all their lives. It was going to be hard being away from what was used to be. And this was even sadder for Jung Hwan and Deok-sun.

"Kim Jung Hwan, don't you dare stay at the airforce forever. Come home when you can." Dong-ryong started to sob.

"Sung Sun-woo, you'll come home every weekend right?" He continued.

"And you, Sung Deok-sun, I don't even care if you came home or not. Just hook me up with your pretty classmates." Dong-ryong managed a joke amidst his crying spree.

"I'll be here, Dong-ryong. I'll be here." Taek uttered softly

Everyone did not speak for a moment and just stared at each other for a long time. Jung Hwan glanced at his girlfriend who is silently crying and it hurt him even more.

They knew this day would come and they knew it wouldn't be easy. But they were going to make it work.

-------

The years have gone by fast and everyone finally got their dreams on the line.

"You just got home and now you're always going out with!" Deok-sun's dad yelled at her as she was going out of their house.

"Come on now. She hasn't seen her friends for a long time." Her mom said and tapped the back of Deok-sun's dad.

"Jung Hwan is waiting for you outside." Her mom added.

Deok-sun literally leaped when she heard that. If there was one person she longed to see, it was definitely her boyfriend.

"Aigoo, this girl! Sometimes I think she likes Jung Hwan." Her dad shook his head before finally heading in.

Jung Hwan saw Deok-sun running towards him like a kid in a park. His heart immediately jumped at the sight of her. He just realized now how much he missed her so much. Deok-sun almost knocked him flat with a very tight hug.

"I missed you so much!" She cried.

"Me too. I missed you so bad." He replied and hugged her even more.

They didn't even care if people were going to see them in that situation.

"I hope the guys won't get freaked out," Deok-sun said in between their embrace.

"I'm not so sure about that." Jung Hwan replied.

They were planning to tell their friends tonight about their relationship of almost 6 years that their neighborhood never knew about.

They rode Jung Hwan's car to the restaurant where the guys had planned to meet.

"I'm nervous. I'm scared they might read through our actions even before we say it." Deok-sun let out a heavy sigh when they arrived at the restaurant.

They saw Sun-woo and Dong-ryong already settled in one of the tables. They were sitting across each other which means Deok-sun and Jung Hwan had no choice but to sit across each other too. Unfortunately, Taek couldn't come because of baduk tournament.

"Let's order some liquor!" Dong-ryong happily exclaimed as soon as all four of them were settled on their table.

"Yah!" Shouted the three.

"You know I miss you all. So we should celebrate this reunion by getting drunk!" Dong-ryong laughed.

They all looked at each other smiling like crazy. Oh, how they missed the good old days.

"Yah, Kim Jung Hwan, haven't you got any girlfriend? I'm sure you've met lots of pretty girls." Dong-ryong teased.

Jung Hwan and Deok-sun looked at each other before Jung Hwan was able to let out an awkward chuckle.

"All you think about is girls! Focus on your job!" Sun-woo smacked Dong-ryong's forehead.

"Yah!" He wailed.

"Of course, we're curious about everyone's love lives. We're not getting any younger!" He added.

"So Jung Hwan-ah, do you still have that engagement ring they gave you on your graduation at the airforce academy?" Dong-ryong cheerfully asked.

Deok-sun was silently gasping in her own bubble. She didn't know about a ring of any sort. She started panicking thinking about why Jung Hwan didn't tell her about this. 

"What ring?" Deok-sun couldn't help but ask. 

"Yah! You sound like an angry girlfriend!" Dong-ryong burst out laughing. That made Sun-woo do the same. 

But Deok-sun didn't seem to mind that her friends were teasing her or that maybe they were starting to take a hint... all she wanted was to know the truth behind the ring. 

"Deoksun-ah..." Jung Hwan mouthed. He was getting worried about Deok-sun's attitude right now. Jung Hwan was supposed to propose to Deok-sun before this night ends. That was supposed to be his way of revealing their relationship to the gang but it looks like it's not going to go well. 

Dong-ryong and Sun-woo were now weirded out by the strange atmosphere their friends were showing. 

"Yah Sung Deok-sun.. what is wrong?" Dong-ryong asked.

But Deok-sun still ignored him and went on glaring at Jung Hwan.

"Why didn't you tell me about that ring!? Were you planning to give it to another girl that's why you didn't tell me!?" She yelled continuously with tears almost falling down her eyes.

"Of course not. I was going to give this to you!" Jung Hwan, now completely worried, finally announced his big surprise.

He took out a box from his pocket and put it in front of Deok-sun. 

"How could I ever give such a special ring to another girl when you're my special girl?" He uttered.

Dong-ryong and Sun-woo's jaws dropped at the same time. 

"Yah! Are you guys playing jokes right now?" Dong-ryong said.

"Let them be." Sun-woo replied, eager to know more.

"I was going to give this to you." Jung Hwan opened the box that revealed the ring.

"I was only waiting for the right time. And this is it... I'm not sure if you're even ready--" 

"I am ready!" Deok-sun exclaimed happily with tears on her cheeks. She couldn't contain her excitement and happiness. 

"That's good to hear." Jung Hwan replied with the biggest smile.

"What is the meaning of this!?" Dong-ryong almost shouted.

Jung Hwan looked at both of his confused friends and then at his crying girlfriend. He finally felt ready after all these years to tell the world how much he loves Deok-sun. This was it. 

"Dong ryong-ah, Sun woo-yah... I have been in love with Deok-sun for a very long time. And even if she says she loves me more, I know I love her even more. She was the subject of my thoughts when I couldn't sleep at night. She's the reason why I tie my shoelaces over and over again just so I could go to school with her. I always hate the crowded bus because guys can have an excuse to come closer to her. And as much as I don't always get my dad's humor, I am happy that she can share that with him. And I know you were annoyed with it but I always loved seeing her dance and hearing her laugh." Jung Hwan said with all sincerity.

"Yah! Why are you confessing to them? I'm your girlfriend!" Deok-sun cried out.

"WHAT!?" Dong-ryong and Sun-woo said in unison.

"Well, I don't want you to be my girlfriend anymore." Jung Hwan looked at Deok-sun.

"I want you to be my wife." He shed a tear and took Deok-sun's hands.