𝐕𝐈.

CHAPTER 6

CHAPTER 6

In Tandem

     Mere moments before Brynn was pulled onto the streets of West Stave, Van Eck had his guards force her to be still, their meaty hands grabbing onto her arms and shoulders, one grabbing her head to open her mouth. She forced back the black spots in her vision. She would not tremble and fear over something that had no right being fearful.

As soon as the rusty powder touched her mouth, Brynn felt everything. She saw the dust in the air, the breaths of the people around her. The gruff words of the guards filled her vision, she could even see Van Eck's fancy tailoring in his black coat.

Brynn drew in a sharp breath, standing up straighter as she stared at everything around her in wonder, as if this was the first time she'd seen anything.

"How does it feel, Miss Adala?" Van Eck asked smugly.

"Like I could kill you all without lifting a finger." They all took a cautionary step away from her, the guards holding her drawing their pistols and holding her tighter. "You needn't worry, though. Your fates are not to die by my hand, though you all will suffer."

Van Eck raised an eyebrow and Brynn could practically feel the unease coming from him. "Is that so? You don't seem like the merciless type."

Brynn raised her gaze to meet his eyes. "Slap yourself." In an instant, he'd slapped himself. "Move away from me and turn your pistols on each other." Before the guards around her could react, they stepped away from her, guns aimed at each other. "Remember who has the power here, Van Eck. Relax."

She let them relax and stepped back, face calm and voice even more so. Brynn nodded to the door. "We should get going. Wouldn't want to keep Brekker waiting, would we?"

Brynn felt the anxiety in the guards around her the entire way to Goedmedbridge coming off of them in waves. The strength and control she had running through her was almost overwhelming. She knew she could take control at any moment, but then that would most likely ruin Kaz's plans. Brynn had been on the other side of Kaz's wrath too many times for her liking.

The crowds around Brynn were loud, and she could hear every one of their conversations. A group of Zemeni girls were giggling about a boy they'd passed earlier along the street as they shopped for clothes. A Shu couple spoke in soft tones about their anniversary plans. Two college students laughed about something funny that had happened in their class earlier that week. Brynn could have made them all stop with a single word, but she kept herself restrained.

Soon, they made it to Goedmedbridge. Brynn had been so focused on the conversations around her that she nearly stumbled and bumped into Van Eck in front of her when they stopped. She glanced over his shoulder to the other side of the bridge.

It had been cleared of people, except for two figures standing at the entrance of the bridge. Kaz Brekker stood with his head held high, cold eyes studying Van Eck's entourage with a gloved hand on the pregnant girl's shoulder next to him. Brynn figured she was Alys Van Eck, Jan Van Eck's pregnant wife.