𝐗𝐕.

CHAPTER I5

CHAPTER I5

Creatures and Fire

     When they finally found a room suitable for Genya's tailoring, Sasha found Brynn a small, comfortable settee from another room and had Jesper haul it into the chilly white room that they had decided upon. Brynn didn't need to be told twice to sit before she slumped in the settee, her eyes already half-closed.

Genya eyed the girl. "She doesn't look too well."

Sasha shrugged. "I'm used to it."

"She's getting over the parem withdrawal," said Wylan as he settled into a chair across from the Tailor.

Her eyes widened as she studied Brynn more closely. "Parem? As in the drug jurda parem?"

Jesper nodded. "As in the Grisha drug," he confirmed. "It's been making her look worse and worse since she took it."

"I don't know what they're talking about," murmured Brynn. "Every time I look in the mirror, all it does is tell me how gorgeous I look."

Sasha smiled. "But it hasn't yet taken away her sarcasm."

"And it never will."

"Rest, Brynn. This might be your last chance before the auction."

She rolled her eyes. "One might think you're the older sister," she muttered. But soon enough, her soft snores filled the room.

Genya stood up and walked over to her, mouth pressed in a thin line, a divot between her eyebrow and her eyepatch. Her red kefta had blue embroidery on it, in beautiful one-of-a-kind patterns. Sasha had to look away from the scars on her face, wondering quietly what kind of weapon could do such a thing that at Tailor wouldn't, couldn't, heal them.

"How long has it been since she consumed parem?" asked Genya.

"About a week," Sasha answered. "Whenever she eats something, she either won't take more than one bite or she can't keep it down. If she keeps on going this way, parem won't be the thing that will kill her."

The Tailor examined her sister silently for a few more minutes, before turning back to Sasha. "I'd like to help bring her to her full health, as much as I possibly can. And if I can't do that, I would like to at least do something to make her look like she's not on her deathbed."

"You can try," said Sasha. "But I have no idea if she'll let you."

Genya scoffed, rolling up her sleeves, and sat across from Wylan. "She'll let me if I tell her to let me."

And so the tailoring began. Sasha watched the complicated and confusing process of slowly mending Wylan's skin back to what it had been like before, his hair back to his normal ruddy curls, the golden eyes of Kuwei back to Wylan's bright blue irises. Eventually, Sasha sat down in a chair in the corner and dozed off.