Ch 3: The Man in the Mansion

********************************************

Marinette jolted up in bed. Images of her frightening dream flashed through her mind. Paris in flames, someone desperately yelling "Ladybug!", and then nothing. It made her uneasy. Was this a premonition?

The nightmare loomed over her head for the rest of the day. She kept her head down and tried to push through her classes. Her thoughts felt murky. She was miles away from reality.

********************************************

Félix sent Marinette a text message. She had been distracted that day and barely acknowledged him. This project was a big part of their grade. He didn't understand why she wasn't she concerned.

Félix
We need to work on our project soon.

Marinette
You are right. Sorry, I wasn't trying to ignore you earlier, I've just got a lot on my mind. How about later today?

Félix
I work best in the comfort of my home. I will send you the address.
6pm
Don't be late.

He wondered if she would be punctual. Probably not.

********************************************

Marinette frantically got all her things in order. "How could I forget about the project? I must have completely ignored him today." She had already drawn up a rough presentation outline for their chosen topic; the Fertile Crescent. Hopefully, it would impress Félix, since she was mostly a spacey fool around him, and make up for ignoring him off today.

Tikki snuggled into her forehead. "Don't beat yourself up. The nightmare you had last night has shaken you up. It's only normal."

Marinette sighed and then smiled. "You are right. Let's go."

She stood outside the large gate for ten minutes until the clock hands ticked to 6:00 sharp.

The security camera eyed her. "Young lady I know you've been standing there for ten minutes. What do you want?" a voice crackled through the speaker.

Busted. She smoothed her shirt. "I'm-I'm sorry! My name is Marinette. I'm here to do a project with Félix!"

"Come in." The camera retracted, and the gate clicked, opening slowly.

As she entered the mansion a chill rushed up her spine. What was that?

A slender lady with her hair pulled into a bun looked at her through the glasses sitting on her nose. She wore a slick black pantsuit with a red turtleneck sweater. Marinette noticed a small patch of dyed red hair on the right side of her neatly tucked bangs.

"Félix is up the stairs to the left. Please do not wander without assistance," Nathalie warned.

Marinette nodded and hurried away. Félix's door was cracked. She heard a loud crash and pushed the door open.

"Félix? Is everything okay?" she asked. He was on the floor with books surrounding him and an opened one on his head.

 He was on the floor with books surrounding him and an opened one on his head