Mother Gothel: The Untold Story

"Mother?" Giovanna shouted, pushing the kitchen door open. The stainless-steel lock was broken and glass was smashed over the floor. It had just been her and her mother for twenty-four years and she had no idea who her father was, a discussion that only ever ended in arguments. Giovanna knelt on the tiled floor, touching the blood stains beside her black boots.

She suddenly looked ahead of her as she heard the living room curtains flapping in the wind. She slowly stood up, carefully stepping over the shattered glass and tiptoed to the kitchen door. She peered round and put her hands up to her mouth. The pine table was upside down and an antique vase was scattered over the Aztec rug. She walked towards the staircase, wondering if her mother was upstairs, but as she stepped on the first creaky step she heard a noise behind her. "Mother?" she called again, taking a step backwards looking around her warily. Her heart hammered in her chest as goosebumps appeared on her arms. She felt a rush of adrenaline as she heard someone breathing heavily in the study a few metres in front of her.

Giovanna inched forwards and gently pushed the door open. "Mother, oh my god, what happened?" she screamed as she jumped forward, kneeling down next to her mother's fragile body. She could barely keep her eyes open, her head heavy in Giovanna's arms as she lifted it to rest on her lap as she stroked her mother's black curly hair, "I'm here mother, tell me what to do."

Her mother didn't respond as her hands slowly fell from the deep wound in her stomach to the wooden planks beneath them. Tears fell down Giovanna's cheeks, "mother? Mother, wake up! Please... You can't leave me!"

She paused as she heard the front door creak open slowly. "Giovanna?" a voice whispered.

Giovanna kissed her mother's head as her body went cold within her grasp and she ran into the living room, throwing her arms around her best friend – Arianna. She said nothing as Giovanna's tears soaked through her clothes, looking around at the mess, missing the fact that Giovanna's mother's body was starting to turn into dust in the other room.

*

Arianna ran towards the front door as there was a loud BANG. Giovanna  followed and saw the beautiful long mirror standing in the doorway.

"Wow, what do you think it is?" Giovanna asked.

Arianna shrugged and watched her move closer to the mirror, a little note written on the side: 'happy birthday G, love you, mum'.

Giovanna burst into tears as she brushed the mirror with her fingers, suddenly feeling an electric shock as her skin past the glass. She looked at her reflection as her skin became plumper and rosier within seconds.

And that was just the beginning...

A few months later Giovanna had realised what the mirror could do, intrigued by the magic surrounding it – everlasting youth. However, Arianna had started to become wary of her, finding her consumed by the magic. Giovanna had changed, becoming obsessed with herself, losing her sense of belonging since her mother passed. Giovanna still had no idea why her mother had been murdered and was determined to find out why.

One morning she looked at herself in the mirror, marvelled once again by the magic and realised the bottom corner of the mirror had come away. She knelt down and picked out the wood, revealing a letter – 'Giovanna, I feel now is a good time to let you know who your father is. He is a powerful man – King of Corona. He has another son which is why he has been after us for years. He found out recently that you were his daughter. Stay safe my darling. Mum'.

Giovanna was outraged and instead of being fearful of the King she decided to destroy him – an eye for an eye as her mother always said. However, on arrival to the palace Giovanna was surprised to see Arianna having dinner with the King's son, Frederick. She hadn't told Giovanna she was with anyone but could clearly see where she had been running off to. Giovanna carried out her plan, disgusted at the betrayal of her best friend and when she appeared back at the cottage she was shocked to see the mirror smashed into little pieces on the floor.

"Noooo!" she screamed, kneeling down with the broken glass.

She looked up, hearing footsteps from the kitchen as she saw Frederick with his dad, the King, behind him. Giovanna stood up and ran at the King with a shard of thick glass. "Giovanna don't!" Arianna yelled from the staircase.

Giovanna turned, distracted at the sound of her voice and Frederick pushed her to the ground. Giovanna felt tears roll down her cheeks in anger and fear as the King walked over to her, crunching the glass beneath his feet. "Don't ever come near my family again Gothel!" he spat.

Giovanna stood up and tried to push him away but he was too strong, gripping her wrist so tight she felt her bones breaking in his grasp. As he let go she ran, needing to get as far away as possible from the dangerous man that's blood ran through her veins.

*

Years later Giovanna, who now called herself Mother Gothel, found out Arianna and the King's son Frederick had got married and had a little girl – Rapunzel. One night she decided to go and visit her, hearing rumours of what the little girl's hair could do from the streets. As she jumped through the window, she could hear Arianna and Frederick talking about the King's failing heart. She looked down at Rapunzel, the little girl giggling as she looked at her and Giovanna knew she had to have her.

As her mother always said – an eye for an eye. They destroyed the precious mirror that would have given her everlasting youth, then she would destroy their lives by taking their precious little girl.