Chapter 1

The air was warm and salty, with a slight breeze that felt satisfyingly cool against my skin. I took a deep breath, not wanting to open my eyes and simply enjoying the sun on my skin and the gentle rocking motion that had soothed me to near slumber.

The laugher and playful screaming of children nearby jolted me awake. I sat partway up with a startled breath before settling back down into the fully reclined deck chair. I closed my eyes again, less relaxed than before.

"Just the Henderson's kids. Nothing to worry about."

I breathed slowly and steadily, trying to calm myself. It had been difficult to relax on this trip, given the circumstances surrounding it. But more than that, I felt a constant, vague sense of unease. Something would go wrong. I didn't know how, and I didn't know when, but something was going to happen.

I swallowed, scolding myself.

"You're above that kind of magical thinking. Get ahold of yourself."

Despite my self-reprimand, the anxiety remained. I'd long understood that a world of difference exists between knowing something and feeling something. Intellect and instinct, in my experience, seldom made good bedfellows.

I sat up, my relaxation thoroughly disturbed. If I couldn't chastise my way out of this ridiculous feeling of impending doom, maybe I could think my way out. Of course I was upset with this trip from the start, I hadn't wanted to come in the first place. But after our big argument, Dad had insisted. Mom had, of course, agreed. We all needed space. I would have much rather gone a cabin in the green, lush forests of Oregon, or even the mountains in Colorado, but the Hendersons had already planned their yacht trip off the coast of California. It was trivial to book a plane ticket for me to join them, and with the scheduling of their trip aligning so well with my parents wanting me out of the house, the opportunity had been too good to pass up. It also gave me a chance to practice my swimming, which I grudgingly enjoyed. My swimming was one of the few things that my father and I agreed on – he approved because, in his words, "Swimming is one of the best cardio exercises there is, Cass, and it's easier on the joints." For me, swimming was a chance to get away from studying, from the world, from everything. When I swam, it was as everything has stopped existing. Almost as if I had stopped existing. My mind was quiet, and the entire universe was just me and the water. Stoke, kick, turn, breathe. Fast. No thoughts, just movement. Just the burning of my lungs and my muscles, just the cool of the water against my skin.

"AUNTIE CASS!"

Of course, I wasn't in the water swimming now. I was on the Henderson's yacht. With the Henderson's kids waving to me from the lower deck.

"Auntie Cass, come play amidst us with us!"

Nevermind the fact that I wasn't actually their aunt, or that them calling me so made me feel far older than I cared to feel, or that I wasn't really sure what "amidst us" was. I had never felt entirely comfortable around kids, another reason this trip had been so difficult for me. I was never sure what to say or how to behave. Though I didn't swear much, I was always afraid that I'd let slip a word I shouldn't have. Being as connected as they were to the internet, there probably wasn't anything I could teach them that they didn't already know, but I wasn't going to take any chances. I didn't want to give the Hendersons any reason to dislike me. They'd been kind to me for the duration of the trip, even if I had been sullen for much of it.

I looked out towards the horizon. Nothing but pure, blue water as far as the eye could see. Although – there, in the distance, some dark clouds seemed to be gathering. Probably nothing, but my anxiety churned in the pit of my stomach.

I stood from the deck chain and began to make my way to the ship's cockpit.

"Auntie Cassie!" Kyle whined. "Come play!" Kyle and his sister Kaylee stood on the lower decks in the their matching red bathing suits, looking up at me expectantly.

"Maybe later, Kyle, sorry!" I called to him. I wanted to check with the Captain about the dark clouds I saw before I did anything else.

The yacht was sizable, but the layout was simple, and I reached the cockpit without difficulty. I'd been there a few times before, seeking out the company of the Captain when the children became too much for me to handle and I needed the presence of another adult human being.

Martín, the captain, stood at the wheel of the ship. The crisp white uniform contrasted sharply with his dark, weathered skin.

"Hey, Martín, qué pasa?"

Martín turned to me, grinning.

"Not much. Qué pasa contigo, gringa?"

He laughed easily. I smiled in response. I appreciated that Martín and I could act so casually around one another. He kept up appearances around the Hendersons – understandably so, as they were his employers. But after I'd made it clear that I had no interest in formalities, and that no, this wasn't some kind of test, he'd been happy to let his guard down. He enjoyed laughing at my terrible Spanish, and I enjoyed his stories. He'd worked on for a cruise line previously before working his way up the ranks, and he now owned a small yacht chartering company with several of his old shipmates.

He also taught me Spanish curse words, sometimes.

"I was just wondering what's up with the clouds outside." I pointed towards the lumpy, dark shapes on the horizon. Had they gotten larger?

Martín bent and looked out the large window.

"I checked the weather earlier today, should be fine." He straightened up before leaning back down to look again.

"But I'll radio in just to be sure. Thanks for letting me know, gringa." He turned and looked at me.

"Head back to your cabin and get some rest, eh? Pareces una mierda."

"Gee, thanks." I rolled my eyes and started for the door.

"But really," I said, turning back to face him. "Thanks. Muchas gracias." I could breathe a little easier now that I knew Martín would be checking the weather. He was an experienced Captain, and I knew he could keep us safe if things took a turn for the worse.

Martín waved casually.

"De nada, de nada."

As I walked back to my cabin, I shivered, despite the heat. Though I was confident in Martín's abilities, I couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen, and that it was going to happen soon.

Before going below deck, I turned my gaze once more to the clouds on the horizon.