Chapter 4

A sharp jerk jolted me awake. Had I stopped myself from rolling out of the bed? Before I could process what had happened, I was forced roughly against the wall on the opposite side of the bed. It wasn't me that was moving – it was the ship. I was instantly flooded with adrenaline.

Why hadn't Martin been able to steer us away? Would the ship go down? Where were the lifeboats, the life vests? Where were the Hendersons? Were they OK?

I got to my feet as quickly as I could and made my way to the door, trying to avoid the various items scattered across the carpet. As the ship rocked, anything that hadn't been firmly secured in place had gone flying. I dodged my way around the contents of my room strewn about and barged into the hallway. I looked left and right, and saw no one.

I grasped the doorframe as a particularly rough jolt struck, almost causing me to fall. I began to make my way down the hallway, walking quickly. As badly as I wanted to run, it was more important to keep my balance. I kept both my arms outstretched so that I could catch myself if I had to. After only a few steps, the lights flicked and went out. I placed my hands on the walls to my sides, navigating by touch. Progress was painfully slow. Twice, I had to brace myself as the ship tilted at an extreme angle. As I approached the entrance to the lower deck, I heard a shriek.

"Mommy!"

Kyle!

I ran to the doors, balance be damned, and pushed one open. There he was, gripping one of metal railings the same way he'd held my leg earlier. He likely wouldn't be able to hold on much longer. The rain was coming down in sheets, and the wind ripped aggressively at me, even from my relatively safe location just inside the doors. The boat listed to the side, and I saw Kyle's grip beginning to fail.

"KYLE!"

His head jerked towards me.

"Hold on! I'll get you!"

I waited for the boat to right itself to a workable angle and stepped onto the deck. Instantly, I was drenched. I kept one eye on Kyle as I took a few steps and grasped the railing. The metal was unbelievably slick. I made my way towards him, sliding my hands along the railing while keeping a firm grip.

As I got closer, I saw Kyle more clearly. His eyes were wide with fear, and he was breathing quickly. I was almost close enough to touch him when the world tuned sideways. I cried in surprise and fear as the floor became a wall, and the railing I was holding became my only attachment to the ship. I dangled, somehow managing to keep my grip.

Kyle didn't.

I watched helplessly as his fingers slipped from the metal bar and he plunged into the abyss.

I let go.

The water was cold from the rain, and it churned violently. I struggled to stay afloat as my head rapidly swiveled in all directions. With any luck, his swim trunks would stand out enough in the dark water that I'd be able to find him.

Red, red, red, red-

No red anywhere. My heart sank.

No, he can't be. It can't-

There!

I began swimming towards the flash of red I'd seen. The storm had pushed him remarkably far in the few seconds he'd gone overboard, and I could only hope I'd make it in time. Thankfully, he was wearing only his swim trucks – he'd float much more easily without heavy, waterlogged clothing weighing him down.

I paused, panting, and looked up to ensure I was still headed in the right direction. Forward, and a little to the left. Head back down, kick. Stroke.