Chapter Two

''You promised your mother you could handle this! You promised your father you could handle this! When you told me that, I assumed you'd be going alone! But no, always have to involve your old buddie, Pete! Right?!'' Pete hissed. ''There's no one better, I trust more.'' Clark replied. ''Oh no? Really,'' Pete asked sarcastically. ''Chloe perhaps? She's the reporter!'' he hissed again. ''Stop being so dramatic,'' Said Clark. ''I asked for your help, because you can keep a secret. I can't have Chloe being here, especially if its related to the meteor shower.''

''How'd you come to that conclusion?'' Pete questioned, raising his eyebrows, though Clark wouldn't be able to see it, since his back was facing him. ''That information wasn't released to anyone, including the public, how'd you get it?' Pete questioned.

''I didn't need to access that information, I just had a feeling. Besides, since the first murder, my parents haven't stopped discussing the subject. Even when they think I'm not able to hear them. This is where I would be extra thankful my super-hearing happened when it did. they don't want anyone to know the murders are related to the people who got infected by the rocks, after the meteor shower, it would freak to many people out.'' Clark sighed. ''And that's why your folks asked you to come out here? To this previous crime scene? Because you're related to the meteor shower?'' Pete asked. ''I wouldn't say it like that, but pretty much, kind of. I was brought down in that meteor shower, those pieces of rock were parts of my planet. So, if there's anything I can do to fix this, and stop those who want to harm others, I'm going to try.'' Clark breathed. ''And my parents don't know I'm here. They know what I am doing, but I didn't exactly draw them a map of all my locations.''

''So, if we die out here? No one will find us, cause they don't know?'' Pete reworded, catching his friends attention, as Clark rolled his light coloured eyes. ''We're not going to die out here. At ,least I won't.'' he laughed which made him receive a punch to the arm from Pete. Growling in anger and frustration as the cold breeze of flurry snow, waved past the two. Clark's eyes shifted from his friend's attention, to the long, snow covered field of wheat. Stacks and stacks of tied up bundles of the stop, lined the corners of the snow banks, as new droppings of fresh snow, came down above them. They'd made the right decision to close the roads, that morning, Clark was sure of it now, with everything, there was no way he'd be able to relax at all, while at school. It was better for him to be out here, then in a classroom, worrying, haunting himself with images of more dead people.

Besides with all the snow and invisible ice underneath, there was no way he'd be able to use super speed that afternoon. His shortcut had become something other than a shortcut now.

''Clark, there's a trail of dried blood over here!'' Pete shouted, calling him over, as Clark made his way over to him. Staring down at the ground, a trail of bright red scarlet stared up at him. It didn't look fresh, but it was recent. This must've been what sent the police over to his home that afternoon, the murder had taken place hours before, the most recent one there'd been. Most had occurred weeks ago, but this, this had just happened four hours ago, meaning the person responsible, could be still lurking around. The blood drained from Clark's face., causing goose bumps to cover up both his arms, even under the jacket he wore, protecting his skin, or so he thought. He began to shiver as the cold wind brushed up against his spine, taking him from behind. Pete was a few feet further, away from him, his back turned to Clark, as he if he'd found something more interesting, and began examining. However, Clark had been stuck. Frozen standing in the middle of the dried blood trail, leading up to a full puddle of the stuff, though it was dark, as the surface of the snow, covered with the stuff.

''Clark?'' he heard Pete's voice, thought it sounded farther away, then it once had been. Though as he looked up, he saw him. Pete wasn't that far away, so why was he picking up his voice as if they were both inside some shadow, covered cave? ''Clark?'' he heard his name again, then the warmth of his hand, placed on his shoulder. ''Clark? Clark, you're bleeding!'' Pete's voice picked up a little, the hissing sound causing the greater pitch in Clark's right ear to pick up, though he couldn't make the sound travel any louder. Suddenly he looked down, blood was draining from him, causing some dizziness and disorientation, as the liquid came rushing down his pant leg. ''Clark,? What's wrong with you?'' Pete asked, his eyes directed to Clark's. He couldn't seem to shake the feeling of fresh fire, biting at him, as the flames travelled along through his veins, or how cold he suddenly felt, as the frost came pressing against his cheeks. He could see his breath as it escaped into the air. ''We, we should go.'' Pete reached out to grab for his friend's hand, but halted, as the sound of a shallow like melody, coming towards them, through a path between the wheat.