Hunt The Haunted - (18)

Hunt The Haunted.

The flight home from Michigan is long and we get delayed at the airport for a good four hours before we can finally get on our plane and come home. On top of that, it takes a long time to actually leave the airport and navigate our way through the busy traffic.  

It's late Friday evening by the time Oliver and I actually get back to our flat in New York. He fell asleep on the journey home, so I tuck him into bed before making myself a cup of coffee.

As I wait for the kettle to boil, I dig out my phone charger and plug it in to the wall, waiting for it to start up.

I'm pouring the hot water into my cup when the first buzz sounds. Then the second, then the third. It just doesn't stop.

I wince, putting the kettle down and only approaching my phone once the buzzing stops, which takes a good minute or two.

I have a couple of texts from each of the girls just sending me encouraging messages and wondering if I know when I'm coming back.

One from Maddie also tells me that Ivan was asking about me repeatedly, so I probably should call him before he 'explodes like the volcano he's threatening to be'.

I can't help but laught at the image.

I also have 34 missed calls and 63 texts from a certain somebody else. Deciding not to even start on his mountain of messages, I send quick replies to each of the girls, letting them know I got home safely and everything is fine.

After taking a deep breath, I bypass all of the texts I got from Ivan and just call him. Knowing him, he'll just repeat everything he texted me anyways.

'Poppy?' he answers on the second ring.

'Hi,' I say quickly. 'I can explain-'

'Oh, really?' he cuts across me harshly and I can just imagine him pacing around his room. 'Can you really explain the whole week's absence without any warning? Can you explain why I repeatedly called and texted you only to get no answer? Can you explain why I visited your house multiple times only to find it empty and it was only once Maddie finally gave me the vague answer that you were away indefinitely and promised to ask you once you returned to finally contact me that I dropped the idea of camping outside of your houes until you returned? Can you really?'

I sigh, closing my eyes for a moment. 'I can explain all of that, Ivan, but I think it's best if you come around here. There's a lot we have to discuss.'

Dread fills my gut at the thought, but I shake it away. I have to do this. I have to tell him.

'There better be a damn good explanation for this, Poppy,' he mutters darkly. 'I'll be there in five minutes.'

He hangs up before I can ask him how he's going to manage to get to my apartment in just five minutes.

He keeps to his word, though, because there's a hammering on my door not even five minutes later.

I nervously open the door and I'm surprised to be crushed against a distinctly human shaped wall. It takes me a moment to realise it's just Ivan's chest.

He inhales deeply, burying his head into my hair. 'Poppy,' he croacks, nuzzling me gently. 'Where the hell have you been?'

I sigh against his shoulder, my arms wrapped around his mid section tightly. 'I think it's best if you come in. Just... Just don't shout at me, okay?'

He sighs too, stepping away and shutting the door behind him. 'Come on,' he murmurs, leading me into the kitchen.

'Would you like coffee?' I ask conversationally, already irritated with myself for delaying this conversation more than I already have.