Chapter 38

Before I could go on holiday, I had to do the Pirelli tests. Tris had gone home to France to spend time with her family. Once I got home to Woking, I was glad to be on holiday at last, it was about time after all I'd been through in the last few weeks... The birthday party on Sunday night had been really fun. Everyone was celebrating something: a birthday, a win, points, or just the holidays... Everyone was having fun and that was the main thing.

Once we got home and my sweetheart joined us, we packed our bags to go and see my parents, which were very pleasant few days. They were days of rest and discussion. We were all delighted to be back together. Tris and I returned to Woking with my brother so that we could pack for our holiday in Croatia. Max and Tom had joined us at my house to facilitate our departure. The organisation was quite complicated for that night: Tris and I slept in our room, my brother and Savannah in the larger guest room, Max slept in his usual room while Tom slept on an air mattress in Max's room.

We left early in the morning because we had to go to Astrid's parents to drop Sigma off. We left in 2 cars: Tris and I had our luggage and Sigma in my Skoda while Oliver, Savannah, Max and Tom were in Oliver's car with their luggage. Tris drove home. She regularly checked that the others were following her. She parked in front of her house, leaving room for Oliver's car. We all got out of the cars, Sigma jumped out of the trunk and went straight to the front door. Tris opened the door and greeted her parents before introducing everyone. We chatted for about ten minutes before getting back into the cars and Tris took us to Lille Lesquin airport. We arrived in Croatia quickly after a long flight during which Tris slept on my shoulder the whole way. We picked up the boat on arrival and set sail immediately.

Tris had finished unpacking before me and was out the door. I came out of the room and passed my brother and Savannah. "Have you seen Astrid? I'm looking for her," I asked them. "No, not at all, sorry," Oliver answered. Savannah thought for a moment before looking at me. "You should try the front of the boat, there's the sunset" she said. Good idea! I thanked them and went to the front of the boat. There I found her sitting cross-legged, her face stretched out in the sun and the gentle breeze from the sea. "What are you thinking about?" I said. "Nothing, just enjoying the moment, that's all," she replied.

The reflection of the sun in her hazel eyes accentuated the flame inside. She was relaxed and serene. She tapped the floor beside her to indicate that I should sit down. I did so and put my arms around her. She leaned against me. We stayed like that for many minutes. "Lovebirds? The food is ready," Max said. "We're coming," I replied. I heard him walk away as Tris straightened up and stood up again. She held out her hand, which I gladly took.

The rest of the holiday was quiet and pleasant. It was pure time away from it all. We met up with George, Charles, and Nicholas when we stopped in Mykonos at the end of our trip. When we returned to Woking, we realised that less than 2 weeks later we would have to go to Spa. We had decided to visit my grandparents before the Grand Prix on the 29th of August. I wanted Tris to meet them. We spent time with my parents again and then with hers before heading to Belgium where we went to an amusement park to relax for the rest of her holiday. Tris had to make a return trip to Douai to drop off some stuff in view of the start of the university year. Finally, on the Saturday before the Grand Prix week, we drove to my grandparents' house.

When we arrived, Tris was... shy. I hugged my grandmother and then turned to Tris. "Grandma, this is Astrid, the woman I love," I said. Astrid came forward and held out her hand, "Hello Madam, you can call me Tris if you like. I am delighted to meet you" she said. "Hello, dear, why do you want to diminish the name of a queen?" my grandmother answered. "I'm far from being one, so I prefer to be called Tris. I'm nobody...". My grandmother shook her head and then led us into the house. I was glad that my grandparents could meet her, but what she had said was on my mind and I thought about it constantly for the next few days.