Chapter 48

BREAKING NEWS: FORMULA 1 DRIVER CARLOS SAINZ AND HIS DULCINEA ISA HERNAEZ GET MARRIED SOON!

Despite all the controversy surrounding Max Verstappen's first world title, some good news came from the paddock. In the midst of the battle between Red Bull, Mercedes and the FIA, we learned of the imminent marriage of Spanish Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz Jr. to his partner Isa Hernaez, with whom he has been in a long-distance relationship for most of the year for almost four years now. We already know that the groom's best man will be his former McLaren teammate, British driver Lando Norris. We are now eagerly awaiting the exact date of the wedding and any other information about this wonderful event coming sometime in 2022.

This is how the news came out. Carlos had called me to tell me that Isa had said yes to his proposal and I was so happy for him! The wedding was planned for the summer break of 2022. He asked me to be his best man when he told me the news. He asked me not to tell Tris but I was finding it harder and harder to keep it from her. When the news came out, Tris called me on video immediately, her face showing surprise but not anger.

"You knew and you didn't tell me? I'm disappointed," she said. "He asked me not to tell you. For once I can keep a secret," I replied. She laughed and told me how her exams were going. I couldn't wait to see her again. She only had one more exam to go and then she could go home. She had had a hard week and I was there for her as she had been for me all year.

~~~~~

25 December 2021

We were getting ready to go to my parents' house. Tris had already put on a beautiful dress, different from the one she wore the day before for New Year's Eve at her parents' house. We had driven back to Woking during the night so that we would have less driving to do today. I watched Tris walk down the stairs as I loaded the car, she rarely wore heels but she looked great in them. She was wearing open heels with a blue dress that was shorter in the front than the back, it had lace on the shoulder area. She looked stunning. It was such a change from her usual student outfits. I stood up straight and didn't say a word except "Wow!" I was well-dressed myself: a suit with a shirt whose top button wasn't fastened.

We left and arrived in Bristol for lunch. All my family were delighted to meet us and I finally got to meet Mila. Tris took her in her arms and cradled her: "She's beautiful Sav, she looks just like you," said Tris. She seemed happy to hold this little human being in her hands. My mother looked at me and signalled that it was time to get started. Tris had returned Mila and Savannah and was now sitting on the couch between my sisters. I walked over to her and took her hand before leading her into the middle of the living room. She looked at me quizzically but with a smile and a flame in her eyes.

"Tris, I want to tell you that I love you first. I want you to know that. We met less than a year ago and you totally changed my life. We've been through a lot together, we've fought, we've loved each other, there's been good and bad, like in every relationship. You went through a lot of difficult moments that I wouldn't recall now because it's still painful and I know it. But you've had some wonderful things too: you've validated your year, you've met new people, you've travelled around the world with me, and lots of other things. The day we met, you totally confused me: you knew who I was and yet you considered me as an ordinary person who lived in the city where you were lost. You were the first stranger to behave like that towards me. I was never happier than today when I ran after you to ask if you wanted a ride. At the beginning, I was so confused and worried about missing something that I always called Carlos at first. I invited you to the McLaren film day. I got to know you then. And then there was that first kiss. That kiss was special, but you had to leave, and I didn't know when I would see you again, our lives are so different. Then I got the courage to come and see you in France. I met your family who were lovely and again treated me like an ordinary person. You have been to all my podiums, you have come to all the races, or almost all of them, you have supported me all along and now it is my turn to support you for your exams. We make an incredible duo and I can't say when exactly I fell in love with you. I didn't believe in destiny before I met you but I'm convinced that it's what put you in my path on February 15th. So I have a question to ask you now. And I think you have already guessed it."