Chapter 9: Mel and Justin (TW)

3rd person's POV

This chapter does mention a miscarriage.

Mel and Justin had been neighbours ever since they were born, their parents were best friends. Yet sometimes their paths weren't the easiest.

Mel struggled a lot with depression during her high school years but Justin was always there to hold her hand. They were inseparable, they were each others rock.

They had gotten married 4 years ago, during their honeymoon is when they found out that Mel was pregnant. They had never been so happy.

Flashback

He had been at work all day, it had been a pretty normal day. He had been making plans all day, many customers needed blueprints immediately. So he delivered.

He was finishing a set of blueprints when his phone began to ring, he smiled when he read the name. Mel had a habit of ringing Justin during work, just to talk to him.

"Hey baby, what's up" he said cheerfully as he answered the phone and held it to his ear. "J....Justin, c.....come to the h.....ospital"

His blood ran cold at the emotion in her voice, she had never sounded so sad. "What's happened?" he asked as he stood from his chair, grabbing his coat in the process.

"It's the baby" she sobbed into the phone, his heart broke. He knew what was coming, why else would she be in hospital. "What hospital are you in sweetheart?"

He kept his voice gentle, he couldn't let her hear him being upset. He needed to be strong for both of them, he needed to be strong for her.

"Riverside" she managed to get out in between sobs. "I'm on my way, do you want me to stay on the phone with you?"

"No, just get here soon" she cried, he swallowed his tears but kept his breathing steady. "I'll be there as quick as possible, I love you Mel"

"I love you too"

***************

The ride to the hospital was a quick one, majority of which was spent speeding. He needed to get to her, and he needed to get there quickly.

He parked the car as close as he could to the hospital and sprinted in. He ran to the reception, "Excuse me, my wife said she was here?"

"What's her name?" the kind receptionist asked with a smile on her face. "Melanie Cortez"

She took her eyes off Justin before looking back up at Justin, "She's on the labour and delivery ward, room 8"

The smile had changed it was now a sympathetic smile and it made Justin feel sick. He just nodded and walked over to the stairs, it was only 2 floors up from reception.

He sprinted up the stairs, stopping when he read labour and delivery on the poster. He walked down the corridor until he reached room 8.

He slowly pushed the door slowly open to see Mel led in a ball on the bed. She had her head in the pillow, pitiful sobs could be hurt.

He made his way over to her, walking in front of her. "Hey honey" he whispered, he crouched in front of her. She pulled her head from the pillow and his heart broke even more.

"It's gone" she sobbed, he stood up and sat on the bed, opening his arms for her. She throw herself in his arms and sobbed on his chest, "I..... c...can't breath"

"Deep breath Mel, follow my breathing" he tried to keep his breathing even for her, he didn't want to cry for her. He wanted to be strong but he couldn't stop his own tears from coming.