CHAPTER 10 : John Wood

John J. Wood (born January 29, 1964) is the Founder of Room to Read, a worldwide non-benefit association zeroed in on proficiency and sexual orientation correspondence in training.

He is the writer of Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy, Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children and the kids' book Zak the Yak with Books on His Back

He is a four-term individual from the Clinton Global Initiative's Advisory Board and a Henry Crown Fellow at the Aspen Institute.Wood was chosen for the debut class of Young Global Leaders by the World Economic Forum and was granted Microsoft's first "Graduated class of the Year" grant by Bill and Melinda Gates.

Wood has served on the Board of Directors for Net Impact and One Acre Fund, and is as of now an Advisory Board individual from Global Citizen Year,New Story and Possible Health.

Wood got away from his work at Microsoft in 1998 to travel across the Himalayas. While traveling, he met a "asset chief" for the schools in the Annapurna Circuit of Nepal, with whom he visited an elementary school that contained 450 youngsters and just a small bunch of books—none age-suitable.

After seeing Wood's response to the absence of books, the school's head administrator proposed, "Maybe, sir, you will sometime return with books," which propelled Wood to request book gifts from loved ones by means of email sent from an Internet bistro in Kathmandu.

After a year, Wood got back to the school with 3,000 books—all gave in light of his email appeal to companions and family.Soon from there on, he found employment elsewhere at Microsoft altogether to give himself full-an ideal opportunity to Books for Nepal, a side venture that would ultimately frame the establishment for Room to Read.

Leaving Microsoft was at first distributed in North America by Harper Collins in August 2006, and was therefore distributed in 21 dialects.

It was included on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2007, with "Oprah's Book Drive" for Room to Read raising more than $3 million. The journal was chosen by the American Booksellers Association for its Book Sense Notable Books List.

It was likewise named one of the Top Ten genuine books of 2006 by Hudson's Booksellers and a Top Ten business account of 2006 by Amazon.com. The spin-off—named Creating Room to Read: A Story of Hope in the Battle for Global Literacy was distributed by Penguin in February, 2013.