Chapter 2

Chapter 2: New Home (2)

Zhao Mingquan followed them. He wanted to see Fu Zhi off. Besides, he also wanted to know who had adopted Fu Zhi and make sure that he or she would treat her well.

By the time the three of them arrived at the entrance, the car of the Lu Family was waiting for them outside the hospital.

It was noon, but it seemed as if there was a shield around the car, as the sunlight could do little to dispel the gloom inside it. Lu Jingqing was holding his head low, so half of his face was shrouded in the darkness.

He did not lift his head until his secretary, who was in the driver’s seat, reminded him. Even in the dark, his eyes looked deep and intense. He looked past the director of the orphanage and zeroed in on Fu Zhi. He studied the girl for a few seconds before averting his gaze.

This was the family that was going to take Fu Zhi under its care. The man was Lu Jingqing, one of the magnates of Yu City.

Lu Jingqing and his wife, Xu Wei, were a loving couple. Unfortunately, a catastrophic event had occurred when Xu Wei had gotten pregnant with her second child after they’d tied the knot. She had experienced a miscarriage-like symptom which had not only caused her son to be born with an intellectual disability but had also rendered her unable to bear another child.

Xu Wei had always wanted to have a daughter. Thus, she had talked with Lu Jingqing and the two of them had decided to adopt a little girl from the orphanage. She had taken a fancy to Fu Zhi the first time she had met her, but sadly, she had been adopted at the time.

When the director of the orphanage had phoned Xu Wei today, she had not been holding on to much hope. However, little had she known that Xu Wei would agree to take Fu Zhi under her wings without any hesitation. Also, since Yu City was half a day away from this small town, she had urged her husband, who was on a business trip to the small town to pick Fu Zhi up, as she did not want anything to get in the way of adopting Fu Zhi again.

After some time that seemed like an eternity, the secretary sitting in the driver’s seat reminded the man once more, “Sir, don’t you want to go out and meet Ms. Fu?”

Upon hearing these words, Lu Jingqing raised his hand and opened the door. He was dressed in sapphire. His features were perfect and classic, and his deep and narrow eyes further accentuated his great charisma.

The director pointed at Fu Zhi and said, “Mr. Lu, meet Fu Zhi.”

A hint of amazement blossomed across Lu Jingqing’s face.

He had shot her only a hurried glance earlier, so this was the first time he came face to face with the little girl that his wife had always been talking about.

Lu Jingqing knew that the living conditions in a small town were not that favorable. Initially, he had pictured Fu Zhi as a girl with ordinary facial features in a rustic dress who’d had all her edges smoothened by life, just like the man standing behind her.

However, when he took a closer look at her, he realized that Fu Zhi was wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of long dungarees that wrapped around her legs, leaving only her delicate ankles bared to the air.

She was undoubtedly a pretty girl. Her long black hair cascaded down her back and over her shoulders. Her almond-shaped eyes were half-closed, and her eyelashes were long and delicately arranged. She exuded a kind of serenity that seemed to draw people closer to her.

First impressions were imperative in human interactions. It took Lu Jingqing only a glance to understand why his wife’s eyes would sparkle with joy whenever she mentioned this little girl.