Chapter One

Nancy Swann stood beside her sister, Elizabeth, as James Norrington was promoted to Commodore. She smiled at him as the ceremony ended. He made his way over to her. Elizabeth excused herself, making her way over to the balcony. Nancy knew she could hardly breath - they both wore overly tight corsets. "I suppose congratulations are in order," Nancy said, a playful smirk on her painted lips.

Ever since Nancy had met James, she loved him. As a friend at first, but over the years he grew on her little by little. However, fate wasn't in her favor, for he loved Elizabeth. And who was she to complain? Elizabeth had matured much faster than Nancy had. Even with the five-year difference, her sister was the one most men paid attention to. James was no different.

"Thank you, Nancy," he said, allowing happiness to pass over his face. She was the only one he would show most of his emotion to. They both agreed it was odd, but she could talk to him and he could talk to her. Without feeling uncomfortable, or completely and utterly weak. James's eyes landed on Elizabeth, the tenderest emotion filling his face. "I am going to propose to Elizabeth."

Nancy's heart broke, but she was used to it. "I only have one piece of advice to give you. Make sure you let her know how you're feeling. I know it's difficult for you, but at least try. My sister believes many things about you that are untrue. I've tried to tell her, but she refuses to believe me. Let her know you love her." She hated giving the man she loved advice on how to woo her sister. It made her sick. But Elizabeth made him happy.

James straightened his already perfect posture, sent Nancy a smile, and made his way over to her sister.

She couldn't stay there, with the love of her life proposing to someone else. She would never hate Elizabeth for it, and she would never hate James. So Nancy had a troublesome time on deciding who to take her frustrations out on. As she walked down to the dock, kicking pebbles and dirt, she knew she was the one to blame.

Nancy had always been a very courageous woman, even as a child. She was the first to speak out against foul deeds and stupid decisions in her father's meetings. She was not afraid to sail with James when her father would permit her. But, by God, she was terrified of telling a man how she felt.

She would take fighting a blood thirsty pirate over telling James anything of her love.

Looking up, Nancy spotted two guards and a rather scraggily looking man standing at the helm of the Interceptor. She rolled her eyes, lifting her skirts to get down faster. Those two guards - Murtogg and Mullory - were rather daft in her opinion. However, they made up for it by their loyalty.

"Excuse me!" she called, smiling sweetly as she climbed aboard to ship.

The three men turned toward her, and the unknown one looked her up and down in appreciation. Nancy immediately despised him.

"Miss Swann," Murtogg said in surprise. Then he pointed his gun at the man. "He refuses to get off the Interceptor, ma'am."

Nancy's smile turned harsh as she examined the man. She stepped forward and raised her hand for him to shake. "Nancy Swann."

The man smirked, shaking her hand. "Mr. Smith, luv."

She leaned forward, expertly pulling his sleeves up. He had a tattoo with a sparrow flying in front of a sunset and a P had been burned into his skin. "Well, sir, I believe you are Jack Sparrow."

The pirate pulled his hand away, narrowing his eyes at her. "Captain. Captain Jack Sparrow."

"He was going to commandeer this boat," Mullory said, eyes wide.

Nancy raised an eyebrow. "So. You aren't a captain."

Sparrow opened his mouth to reply, but a splash from the cliffs took all their attention. Nancy heard James scream her sister's name. She immediately rushed to jump in, but the pirate held her back. "Allow me," he said, taking all his things off.