Chapter Two

Nancy looked up from the pier, clenching her teeth in anger. Elizabeth tried to help her up, but she knocked her hands away. "I'm going after him," she seethed, marching past Norrington and her father.

James grabbed her arm, digging her fingers into her bicep. There would be bruises there. "Not so fast," he said with a stern look. "I believe I cannot let a woman chase after a man such as Jack Sparrow." He nodded toward Mullory and Murtogg. "If you could, escort Miss Swann back to the mansion. Do not let her out of your sight."

Nancy glared at her friend. He had enough trust in her to believe she could escape from two soldiers' hands, but not enough to stop a pirate - which she could have killed if she had just pulled the bloody trigger. Why she didn't was one question that plagued her mind as Mullory and Murtogg argued with each other.

They came round the corner, and Nancy eyed the blacksmith. Will Turner had also always been her friend. If she could at least talk to him...

Nancy let out a scream, pointing toward a corner. "I saw him! The pirate!"

Without waiting, the two men rushed away. No doubt thinking about how praised they would be if they found Sparrow.

Nancy went inside the blacksmith, sighing loudly. She shuffled in her corset and attempted to cover her cleavage more than the dress did. "Will?" she asked, eying Mister Brown in his chair. He snorted, making Nancy sniff in disgust. "Will?" she demanded. How long would it have taken him to get back? His visit to the mansion had been hours ago.

All she wanted to do was complain about James, which she did often. Along with how her father seemed to doubt her abilities to become a governess. And how Elizabeth hardly spent time with her anymore, opting to spend hours in her room doing Lord knows what.

Nancy grabbed one of Will's finely crafted swords, relishing in the perfectly even weight. She swung it playfully. Will had been so kind to teach her how to sword fight a little after they became friends. She tried to practice every night with a sword Will had given her years before, but it wasn't the same as with him.

She envied James's ability to spar with any soldier he wished.

A cool tip came to rest on the back of her neck. "I suggest you put that sword down, Nance."

"Oh, for crying out loud," she muttered, whipping around and knocking his sword away. "Why won't you just go away?"

Sparrow smirked, his dark eyes flashing. "I tried. You found me."

"I admit I won't pass up a chance to kill you again." Nancy leaped into a fighting stance, a smirk finding a spot on her face. "Especially when you put me in such a precarious position."

Sparrow leaned forward, his sword tapping hers. "Since we are admitting things, I throughly enjoyed myself."

Nancy had never had a man so forward with her. She narrowed her eyes and attacked. He simply parried. "You have quite a bit of nerve, Sparrow."

"It's Captain Sparrow. How many times must I tell you?"

Will had always said it's better to not speak while fighting. Nancy understood why. Even by just the few words she had said, her chest was already heaving. But she refused to let him have the last word. "If you had a ship, I would consider calling you something of such respect."

Sparrow bristled, though he tried not to let it show. He stayed silent and so did Nancy as they fought, swords clashing against each other. Nancy tried to match his strength and skill, but it was painfully hard because of her corset and layers of skirts. They both realized at the same time that Sparrow was winning.

He grinned widely, pushing her toward the back door. "I also admit you are an excellent swordsman - woman - but no one can best Captain Jack Sparrow."

"I beg to differ."

Nancy looked up and found Will with his own sword. She smiled, relieved that he had arrived.

Sparrow looked back and forth between the two before grabbing another sword and pointing it at them. "This wouldn't be the first time I've fought two against one."

"However," Nancy started, finding a new energy in her, "it will be the last."

Without warning, Will and Nancy attacked. Sparrow ducked away, spinning so he was behind Nancy. He put his sword against her throat, pulling her back to his chest. Sparrow grabbed her sword, throwing it away. "Look where we've found ourselves."

Will blinked, silently asking Nancy what to do. She shook her head and spun. "You are filthy." Nancy grabbed his pistol and placed it against his head. "But I do rather like this."

Sparrow's eyes widened, but before Nancy could fire, a bottle crashed against his head. Then he fell sideways, landing on the dirt floor. The door to the blacksmith crashed open, soldiers filling the room. James stalked in, making eye contact with Nancy before moving to Mr. Brown.

"Excellent work, Mr. Brown. You've assisted in the capture of a dangerous fugitive."

Nancy glanced at Will. He motioned to the pistol in her hand and she hid it in her thick ribbon on the back of her dress. The soldiers grabbed Sparrow and took him out of the blacksmith. James turned to Nancy. His eyes told her to follow him.

"Bye, Will," she whispered, wishing she could stay and talk to him.

When they made it out of the blacksmith, James turned on her, his displeasure obvious on his face. "What were you thinking? I told you to go back home."

Nancy stood up straight. "I am my own person. I wanted to talk to Will."

"You shouldn't even be around Mr. Turner as much as you are. It doesn't bode well for your honor." James led her through the streets, slowing just enough for her to speedwalk next to him.

"Will is my friend. He would do nothing and neither would I." Nancy crossed her arms over her chest.

"That still doesn't change the fact that people have been talking."

"Who?" Nancy examined the profile of his face, looking for the tiniest hint of jealously. There was nothing but the stoic Commodore Norrington her sister disliked. "Who, James?"

"It doesn't matter, Nancy. What matters is you are a woman of high status, you are twenty-five, and you have yet to marry. You spend your free time involving yourself in your father's affairs, the navy's affairs, and accompany a blacksmith's apprentice to sword fight."

Nancy grabbed his arm, making him stop. They were just on the outskirts of the town. "Why do you make it sound like it's so terrible? It has not bothered you."

James sighed. "You are a woman and will do well to remember your place."

"I know you don't mean that, James. You've told me countless times before that you cherish my opinion." Nancy kept the hurt off her face, praying he would stop acting so stupid.

"I regret planting such lies in you," James said. "And it is Commodore Norrington, to you."

Nancy shook her head. "And this is why Elizabeth has never shown interest in you. She's worse than me, you realize?" Without waiting for an answer, Nancy picked her skirts up and began making her way back home without her friend. She was able to keep face until she reached her bedroom. Then she sobbed until supper.