Chapter 8: The One with Bloodshot Eyes

"You alright? Let's find somewhere less crowded." I reassured. He nodded back as I led him and Nezuko through the city...

———

Past the bustling streets of Asakusa, we came across a small udon shop off to the side. "Want to get something to eat? I'll pay!" I grinned. My friend nodded as I ordered for the two of us.

I sat down next to Tanjiro on a nearby bench, Nezuko had fallen asleep on his shoulder. A cold breeze blew by and I shivered a little, my hair and clothes were still damp from the swamp.
"Are you cold? You can have my scarf if you'd like." He suggested. I shook my head, "No, no, don't worry about me. I-I'm fine!" I responded.

He sighed as he took off his scarf and wrapped it around me. My cheeks turned pink as he put his arm around my shoulder. "I don't want you to get sick, so you need to stay warm or else you won't get better." A small smile formed on my lips as I slowly laid my head on his shoulder.

We sat there for a moment until the cook called for us that our meals were ready. I picked up the warm bowls and passed one to Tanjiro. It smells so good! I sipped the broth and was about to dig in when my friend suddenly had a look of horror in his face. "Is...everything okay, Tanjiro?" I asked concerned.

All of a sudden he stood up, and the bowl of udon smashed on the ground. He tightly gripped the handle of his katana. "This scent...it's the same one from my house!" He took off running into the bright lights as I quickly set down my bowl and chased after him.

———

I eventually caught up to Tanjiro, but I began to sense a very ominous presence. It felt like deja vu, but I wasn't sure why it seemed this way. The bundles of people surrounding us, I grabbed Tanjiro's hand as he looked back at me.
"Could you please tell me where the hell you're going?! You shouldn't run off like that!" I asked, slightly annoyed. He pulled me through the crowds as the two of us came to a stop. Tanjiro reached out to a man with jet black hair and a white hat.

He turned to meet us, and my eyes immediately went to his. The mysterious man's eyes...were bloodshot red.

No...it can't be...there's no way...

Muzan Kibutsuji...

In that moment I realized

In that moment I realized...he was the one.

He was the one who murdered my brother two years ago.

I clenched my fist as I felt my blood boil. I could see Tanjiro was as angry as I was. His grip tightened on my hand as we stared at the man...no, the demon in front of us.