Long Lost

Steve Rogers yawned and pulled the obscene amount of mail out of the mailbox. After making a pot of coffee, he settled down with his favorite mug and began to sort through it. Bills went to Tony, this one had his name on it, this one was Bruce's... Eventually, he had seven neat piles. He set aside Peter and Clint's piles to forward them to their respective addresses, and put Tony, Nat, Thor, and Bruce's in their cubbies. He poured himself another cup of coffee and began to go through his pile. It was mostly letters from fans, but there was one from Sharon Carter. He hadn't heard from her in a while.

Steve tore open the envelope and pulled out another one addressed to him and a small note. He read the note first.

Steve,

I found a box of Peggy's stuff about a month ago and went through it. I found this letter for you. Call me when you read it.

-- Sharon.

The envelope was dated about eleven years ago, around the time he first emerged from the ice. When he opened it he found a thick piece of paper written in neat cursive.

My dearest, Steve,

I heard that they brought you out of the ice today. I don't know if I'll ever see you again. As I'm sure S.H.I.E.L.D has informed you, I've been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and will be gone in a few years. So, I'm writing this letter to share an enormous secret I've been carrying for years.

About three months after you were frozen, I found out that I was pregnant. When our child was born, I immediately knew that they were yours. They reminded me so much of you, even as a baby. I named them (Y/N) Rogers. I heard you tell Bucky that you've always loved that name. When they were three years old, I turned my back for five seconds to talk to the neighbor, and then they were gone. I couldn't stop searching for them until I was diagnosed and moved into a retirement home. Sometimes, I wonder if they're still alive somewhere, and who they became if they are. I'm afraid I won't live to find the answer.

If we've seen each other by the time you're reading this, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. It still hurts to think about them even years after they were taken. I want you to know that I love you more than anything and not a day went by that I didn't think about you or (Y/N). I hope you won't hold the fact that I built a life without you against me. I found happiness and some semblance of solace with my family, as I hope you eventually will when you meet all the wonderful people you'll share the rest of your life with.

All the best,

Peggy

Steve noticed the wet spots on the paper before he realized he was crying. He had a child. They'd be about 77 now. It was strange to think that they'd be physically older than him. He had missed so much in the years he'd been stuck in the ocean. He wondered if they looked more like him or Peggy. If they were happy. If they had a family. Did he have grandchildren or even great-grandchildren? Steve was going to find them. He knew that much, at least. He just needed a place to start.

***

It was just Loki's luck that tonight happened to be Family Dinner Night. Once a month, the Avengers and their families met at one of their homes and ate a meal together. And, since Thor was an Avenger and Loki was his (adopted) brother, he had to take part in the frivolous event. At least it was Barton's turn to host. The family may not be thrilled to have him in their home, but Barton and his wife made the best food in the group. Still, he'd rather be home. All he could do was listen to the Midgardians' dull conversation and pick at his food. He was counting the seconds until he could hold his darling (Y/N) again...

"Hey, Cap, you're pretty quiet. What's up?" Stark asked.

"Nothing," Rogers muttered. "Just thinking." Loki perked up a bit. Now, this was interesting.