Rainbows

Loki followed Thor into Stark's laboratory. Stark and Banner were working on one project, and (Y/N) was standing at another table, doing another. Loki's heart skipped a beat. They were stunning. Their (H/L) (H/C) hair was (pulled/pinned) away from their face, out of the way of the experiment, and the goggles protecting their eyes. There were grease smudges on their cheeks, their overalls, the white shirt underneath it, and their gloves. Loki smiled softly as he watched them work. Thor nudged him and smirked. He scowled at him, then turned his attention back to (Y/N) as they finished whatever they were working on and set their tools down.

Then, they looked up, saw the gods, and their face lit up like a thousand candles igniting at once. "Loki! Thor! Hi!" Stark and Banner looked up. Loki's face flushed a bit.

"Hello, (Y/N). It's a pleasure to see you again," he said. Their smile grew a bit brighter if that was even possible.

"Thanks. You too."

"What do you two want?" Stark asked.

"Oh, we just wanted to pop in. See if (Y/N)--" Loki subtly elbowed Thor, and he cleared his throat. "I mean, see what you all are working on." Stark and Banner exchanged a look.

"Well, Tony and I are looking into updating F.R.I.D.A.Y. (Y/N) can tell you what they're working on. It's very impressive."

"Dad," (Y/N) groaned, their face flushing a bit. 

"It is!" Banner insisted. He looked back at Thor and Loki. "They're working on an ability amplifier. It works, too, they're just doing some adjustments so you can control how much of a boost you get."

"Dad!"

"What?! You're a very talented young person."

"Only cause you taught me everything you know."

"Exactly, and I raised you, which means I get some bragging rights, right?"

"You two are related?" Loki asked.

"I'm adopted," (Y/N) said. "Dad found me after my mom died."

"Oh. My condolences."

"Loki's adopted too," Thor said unhelpfully. Loki sighed.

"Yes. Thank you, brother." (Y/N) looked between them, then shrugged.

"Can you help me test my amplifier?" they asked Loki. "I wanna see if it works."

"I would love to." They smiled, grabbed the amplifier, and walked over to Loki. It looked like a simple bracelet. (Y/N) pressed a button to open it, then gently lifted Loki's wrist to put it on him. Their light touch sent his heart racing. They clicked the amplifier into place and stepped back. Loki resisted the urge to pull them back to him. And then, he had this feeling, like he was holding the Norn Stones again. 

"Try it out," (Y/N) said. "Cast a spell or something." Loki took a deep breath and held up his hands. Thinking that (Y/N) would hate him if he destroyed their lab, he decided on his fireworks. He prepared to make the little explosions, and then--

Several huge bangs and sparks flew from his hands. He gasped and stumbled into Thor, who caught him. (Y/N), Banner, and Stark covered their ears. Loki began to stammer apologies as he got to his feet, but then (Y/N) was hugging him.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" they cheered. When they pulled away from him, their eyes were shining with all the light of a thousand stars, their face was flushed with excitement, and their lips were stretched in a rediculous grin and Loki couldn't help but love every part of them despite his promise to never be fond of anyone. "That was amazing! It works perfectly. I actually turned it down before I put it on you, so if you needed more power, that could've been possible. It works! Thank you so, so much. Really. If there's anything I can do for you, just let me know." Loki blushed as they took the amplifier off his wrist.

"I-I was happy to help. Your invention is quite brilliant. If anything, you should be thanking yourself." (Y/N)'s grin grew even bigger. Stark and Banner began to giggle behind them, as did Thor. Loki glanced at the top of (Y/N)'s head and frowned. "Um, (Y/N)... Is there supposed to be a rainbow above your head?" (Y/N) froze. They looked at the mirror across the shop and shrieked. They waved their hands above their head, but the rainbow wouldn't disappear. They glanced at Loki, horror in their eyes. He felt a flash of panic. "Don't be upset! It's adorable. I just wondered." That was apparently the wrong thing to say, because more rainbows popped up over their head, Stark, Banner, and Thor began to laugh harder, and (Y/N) grew more frantic.

"Go away, go away," they whispered. "Ugh, this is so embarrassing!" They groaned, the others kept giggling, and then the rainbows were replaced by a storm cloud that thundered as well as soaked (Y/N)'s hair and clothes. They sighed. "Great. I've got to go change and pack now. Thanks, Loki." His heart sank as they walked out of the lab. He stared at his hands as the others slowly composed themselves.

"Oh, that was great," Stark laughed. "I haven't seen them rainbow in ages." Loki sighed and turned to go.

"What's wrong, brother?" Thor asked. Loki gave him a look. "Oh, (Y/N)."

"What's this about (Y/N)?" Banner asked.

"Loki has a huge crush on them, but he has this thing where he doesn't think he's good enough for anyone and whenever he makes a mistake, he thinks everyone hates him or is at least very angry."

"Thor," Loki hissed.

"Oh." Stark began to laugh, and Banner gave him a look. "You didn't do anything wrong, Loki. (Y/N) has the power to manipulate the weather. They have a hard time controlling it when they get emotional. When they start rainbowing, it just means they're really happy."

"Oh." A small smile crept onto Loki's face.

"It's actually why they're building the amplifier. They want to spend some time fixing global warming and droughts and things like that. I told them they shouldn't expect themselves to solve the world's problems on their own, but they want to do what they can. I'm proud of them for that, but I'm a bit worried about them, too." Loki nodded.

"Yes, they're very noble, now, I have to go." With that, he ran out of the lab and went to find (Y/N). He had a feeling they needed a travel companion.