Intermission: a Series of 'Very Important, Not Suspicious At All' Letters

August 17th, 1991

Dear Ms Circe Turpin, of the Improper Use of Magic Office,

Ministry of Magic

I was referred to you by a tutor of mine, who told me you were the one to inquire about these sorts of topics; namely, the Trace.

Recently, I've found myself researching into what exactly the Trace is. At first, I came across the subject due to a school project, however I soon found myself fascinated by the concept. From my understanding, the charm allows the Ministry to track/detect underage magic, which is obviously banned under the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery. I tried searching high and low in books, scrolls and even word of mouth, but came up short every time.

Why is there little to no information about the Trace available to the public, and furthermore, what actually is the Trace? Is it a tracking charm? A detection charm? A monitor charm (like they use for infants)? I must admit, if it's the first, I find myself slightly alarmed by the notion that my whereabouts are being tracked by our government.

Waiting your reply.

Sincerely, Marcus Gudgeon

September 27th, 1991

Mr M. Gudgeon,

I do admit it's a pleasant surprise to receive a letter such as yours – so little of this younger generation express interest in these areas of magic. Unfortunately, due to strict confidentiality laws, I can't really disclose the information you seek.

If you truly are interesting in learning more, perhaps consider a career in the Improper Use of Magic Office; it's an incredibly rewarding path, filled with a slew of enriching experiences and the opportunity to build quite the respectable reputation under the tutelage of the Ministry.

Good luck with your future schooling,

Kind Regards,

C. Turpin,

Improper Use of Magic Office (Underage Magic Branch),

Ministry of Magic

September 29th, 1991

Dear Ms Turpin,

Of course, I most certainly understand; I wouldn't dare dream of getting you into trouble just because of my simple inquiry. It's only. . . well, I can't but wonder; if such a spell can be sanctioned to be placed on a child before they even take their first breath, why is there not such a spell for adults? A spell that monitors the magic of an individual would surely be beneficial in monitoring magical acts of crime? The ministry would simply be notified of what spells where used and who cast the spells.

Waiting your reply.

Sincerely, Marcus Gudgeon

October 13th, 1991

Mr M. Gudgeon,

A forward thinker indeed, Mr Gudgeon, with such interesting questions too.

This has, of course, occurred to those of us at the Ministry before; we are, after all, dedicated and fully committed towards always looking for a brighter future. However, that is not how the Trace works.