Zombies Aren't The Only Ones Who Bite

I heard someone knock on the door, and I rolled my eyes. Who knocked? These guys are idiots I swear.

Yes! It's the zombie apocalypse and I've got neighbors visiting, wonder what they want?

It was a few seconds before the door handle was tried and again I hard to bit my lip from saying anything. Because I'm stupid enough to leave the door unlocked. I heard murmuring and then there was a crash. No, not the stupid door being kicked in, but a window.

There was cracking of wood as they kicked it from the window and then there was more glass hitting the ground as they cleared it out of the frame. I tensed, backing up a little from the door and into a coat, I paused and held my breath. I heard a creak of Mabel moving around upstairs but luckily the boys didn't seem to hear as they started talking amongst themselves.

"Are you sure you saw her?" said a gruff, accented voice.

"Duh, I mean there's no way I saw a zombie watching us.. and also are you kidding me? There's a broken chair right there in front of the door."

"Guys," a voice said, sounding like he was smiling. How a voice could sound like he was smiling I didn't know but, there you have it, "I think," his steps got louder, as did his voice.. like he was getting closer, I pressed my ear to the door to hear them all better, "that Chester's right."

The footsteps stopped and I sorta wished I had hid somewhere where I could watch them some more. Everything was really quiet and I wondered what had caught their eye.. were they getting their guns out? Were they doing some sex slave dealer talk?

I bit down on my lip and shifted my weight off of my hurt knee, closing my eyes as if that would aid me to hear them better. The doorknob on the closet was suddenly twisted and the door was yanked open. I fell out and a few of the jackets that had been hung up fell with me. I landed on the floor under a really musty smelling coat of my fathers and a very small coat that I think had once been mine, maybe when I was six or so. My knee banged against the ground and I gave a cry of pain, instantly flipping over onto my back and pulling my injured knee to my chest.

I opened my eyes, only to find my vision blurry as the traitorous tears filled them. I saw a pair of green eyes matched with brown hair, he was staring at me, his mouth tilted up in a half smile.

"Are you okay?" He murmured, moving as if to lean down and help me up.

I cringed away and scrambled to sit with my back against the wall, my hand that wasn't keeping my leg pressed to my chest reached under the jacket and found the knife that I had dropped, I pointed it at him and he just raised an eyebrow, "Nice to meet you too, I'm Sam."

He stood up a bit taller and backed off, hands up, "I'm sorry if we scared you... we didn't mean to and I didn't mean for you to fall down.."

He looked like he was still smiling despite the fact that he was frowning, I think it was the way his eyes just liked to sparkle with laughter. It made it hard for me to keep my brave face, and not smile, and so I looked away from him and to the two boys behind him. The one with the muscle top was looking at me curiously, his head tilted and his arms crossed.

The one with the black hair was glaring at me, "You bit me."

I couldn't help it then, I lowered my knife and shrugged, "maybe I thought you were a zombie and figured if I was going to be bit, I would bite you back."

His face scrunched up in confusion while the other two, the brown haired boys doubled up in laughter. Muscle top grinned at me and pointed towards me, "I like you, my names Chester, pleased to meet you, .. whateveryournameis."