First Day On The Job

You and Jeremy sit on top of the ruins of a collapsed building, keeping a look out for enemies while making small talk. Jeremy puts his rifle to the side and looks at you with a smile. "So, what made you join the army?" He asked. "Oh, well, I didn't really have anywhere else to go after the apocalypse." You answered. His smile faed a little. "Yeah. I can understand that. I didn't really have a place to stay either." He added. The two of you went silent for a moment as you admired the scenery, which wasn't really that pretty in the first place. Piles of rubble, collapsed buildings, it was a seemingly endless vast wasteland.

Jeremy lets out a heavy sigh as he looks down. You place a hand on his shoulder, causing him to looks up at you. "You ok?" You ask curiously. He looks back down as if he doesn't want to say what's on his mind. You remove your hand from his shoulder assuming he wants to be left alone. "I don't feel safe." He said. "After the apocalypse I've always been paranoid and more aware of my surroundings. I always feel like I'm in danger. And my anxiety can get pretty bad sometimes." There's an awkward silence between you two as you both look off into the distance. You hear Jeremy shuffle closer to you and look over to catch him staring at you, your eyes meet for a second. "Uh-um sorry." Jeremy apologizes nervously. A bit of red grows across his face. "It's fine." You chuckled.

After that you two went on your normal patrol and stuff yadah yadah yadah. Nothing too exciting. It's like that most patrols anyways.