Flight

Kai and Zane sat side by side on the wall, staring into the darkness as they waited. The minutes ticked by like hours in Kai's head.

He finally decided to start a conversation, just to make time pass more productively.

"So…” he cleared his throat. "How did you get captured, Zane?"

A long pause. Zane eventually shifted his weight and began. "I allowed myself to be captured,” he said. "I find it ironic that Cole captured me when I was already trying to find a way to sneak onto his ship."

Kai's eyes squinted in the darkness as he tried to find Zane's face, to see if the man was serious or not. "Why would you be trying to get trapped purposely on this evil piece of junk?" he asked.

"This ship is a remarkable feat of ingenuity and craftsmanship, Kai," Zane reasoned. "Evil, yes. But not junk."

Kai rolled his eyes. "Continue the story."

"Do you roll your eyes at everyone, or is it just me?" Zane asked with good humor.

Kai gave him a brazen smile.

Zane chuckled and shook his head. "To elaborate on my previous words," he said, "I was trying to get onto the Black Bounty to rescue you."

He held a finger up, stopping the hotheaded man before he could ask the anticipated question. "I knew that you were captured because of your guardian bird." He set his hand back on his lap again. "There is too much to tell at this moment in time, Kai. I will explain in better detail later. But just in case you didn't realize before now, you have a mechanical bird that never lets you leave its sight. It contacts me and my sister, Pixal, at the first sign of danger. We got a signal from your bird at dusk, with a live feed of Cole and your plight."

Kai interjected before Zane could continue. "And Nya?" He asked. "Does she have a bird?" The thought surprised him, thinking that this man before him had the power to spy on everything he did. He clenched his fist. Everything his sister did. The thought made him sick.

Zane nodded, though Kai was unable to see the movement in the darkness. "Yes. I believe you call it Cheeks, or something along those lines. It sent a message to Pixal, and she is locating your sister as we speak." He examined Kai's face and let out a short laugh. "The bird only produces video if it senses danger, or if Nya requests to specifically contact me or my sister, Kai." He rubbed the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "Do not think I would misuse my power, my friend."

Kai was amazed by Zane's acute ability to guess what he was thinking. He couldn't resist the question that had been eating away at him for a while now. "Is she safe?" He had an ache inside of him that said that he didn't care what happened to himself, just as long as his sister was out of harm's way.

Zane paused. "I could check for you, if you'd like. I haven't made contact with her bird since before I got onto the ship."

Kai nodded fervently. "If you could, that would be great."

Zane didn't reply. There was silence for a few seconds, then a quiet beep and a series of clicks before his eyes began to glow. What had been brilliant icy irises before now became a fluorescent pair of blue lights that were hard to look at without burning stars into your vision.

Kai stared at him in wonder. Was there anything this android couldn't do? Zane's head was erect, straight forward and expressionless as he peered ahead into the blackness. His mouth began to move. "She is in a cave," he said. "With that wound in her body bleeding profusely."

Kai's stomach lurched. "What else can you see?"

Zane pursed his lips. "I see a man on his knees next to her, trying very hard not to throw up as he washes it out."