Acquiescence

Pixal let go of Zane and stared at the dark man in the corner, dumbfounded. "What do you mean?" she asked. "Who do you think you are, making such claims?"

Cole stepped into the light, ducking low to avoid hitting his feathered hat on the ceiling. "I mean that I need you, Lady Pixal," he said, softening his tone a touch. "But details can wait until we are back on the ship. I don't know about you, but I need a bottle." He cooly walked out of the cave, and left the siblings alone.

Pixal turned her head back to her brother, her eyes wide with alarm, and glowing with anger. "Is that Sir Cole?" she whispered. My goodness, the man is a maniac...

Zane nodded and shifted his position on the ground. "My knee got knocked out of joint. Can you twist it back into place? Kai couldn't do it, and Cole doesn't seem capable of anything as...delicate as this."

Pixal nodded and rolled his pant leg up to the thigh. "You're not even a little bit concerned-" The sound of a horn cut her off. Her eyes grew rounder. "What was that?"

Zane sighed heavily and furrowed his brows. "It would seem," he said slowly. "That I am not going home today after all."

Pixal examined his face carefully. He was obviously under a lot of stress, and was a little bit panicked. He just wasn't showing it on the surface. She ran her hands down his leg and forced a smile. "This might hurt a little," she said as she twisted his calf to the right with a sudden jerk.

Zane let out a short cry of pain, but quickly stifled it, biting his cheek. He looked at her and nodded. "Thank you," he said. He grabbed his sister's hand and got to his feet slowly, testing his weight. He smiled weakly at her. "Being a robot has some distinct advantages." He rolled down his pant leg and gestured toward the door, where sound of angry shouting could be heard. "Let's go and see what Kai and Cole are fighting about this time." He went through the door, with Pixal on his heels.

The moment Pixal was out and into the open again, she could sense that something was wrong. Kai was shouting at an unfazed Cole, who was playing with a small ebony horn in one hand.

"Kai." Kaytake came forward on his horse, a stern look on his face. He looked between his son and Cole, his gaze lasting a little longer on the black cloaked man. "Sir Cole, right?" His voice was harsh and angry.

"I am," Cole nodded once and put the horn in his pocket. "I would suggest leaving before my warriors get here." His voice held a foreboding quality that said he was not joking. "I have no need for you, your guards, or your prisoner," he nodded at Jay. "I will be forced to kill you four if you do not leave now."

Kaytake stared at Cole for another long moment, his mouth agape. He looked at the three people behind the knight with a feeling of intense frustration. Both of Lord Julien's children, and his own son, captive of the Overlord's most powerful henchman.

Kaytake knew he was no match for the man. Some of the best warriors in the country had lost their lives in the never ending battle to bring this man down. His eyebrows dug deep, almost touching his eyes. He cast his son a desperate look, but saw only the same hopelessness and anger that plagued himself.

He leapt down from his horse and grabbed a knife from a sheath on his hip. He cut Jay free and helped the man onto Pixal's horse. He looked once more at Kai and nodded. "I love you, son." He said, keeping his voice taut so that it wouldn't crack. He gestured to Jay, and they followed the guards off at a fast lope, without daring to look back. He cursed himself for running away like he did, but he knew that he had no choice.

After several miles, they reached the bridge and crossed without incident. Kaytake was glad, because the last thing he wanted was to run into a vicious stone samurai warrior.