v. Sam's Secret Talents

━━ chapter five
sam's secret talents

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

    AROUND Sam, it was chaotic. The others were still recovering from the flash bombs, Jason had managed to push himself into a run to check on Piper and Coach Hedge, Frank had transformed into a bear, but before he could have wreaked havoc on the thieving Kerkopes, the flash-bomb disorientated him and now he was slowly morphing back to normal. Annabeth rubbed her eyes, blinking━she looked a mix of furious and guilty, and Sam could tell she thought she should have somehow prevented this. She turned to Frank, placing a hand on his shoulder. Leo was still on the ground, unable to believe how much destruction had happened in a matter of seconds.

    Jason pulled the gag out of Piper's mouth and immediately, she shouted, "Don't waste your time on me! Go after them!"

    At the mast, Coach Hedge struggled through his gag and screamed a muffled curse. Sam think he meant something along the lines of: KILL THEM!

     Sam staggered to the edge of the boat, looking down at the city of Bologna━a jigsaw puzzle of red-tiled buildings in a valley hemmed in by green hills. Fiona's dagger was in there somewhere, as was Leo's Archimedes's Spheres and toolbelt. He tried to think of a plan, breath uneven and blinking light still from his eyes. Come on, think, Sam! He told himself. You're a son of Athena, think

      He had the start of one ...

      Sam glanced back at Leo and Jason. The others were too dazed to be able to follow him. "Jason," he spoke up and the blonde Superman turned to him. "You all right to control the winds?"

    He frowned, "Sure, but━"

     "Good," he glared back down a the maze below them, his cheery diposition far from gone at this point. Not until he got that pugio back. "Because you, me and Leo have some Kerkopes to catch."

     Jason nodded. It didn't take long to get into the air. Sam felt his hair fly and his stomach lurch at feeling the wind wrap around them like a blanket of pressure. Jason strained to hold him and Leo, but pushed forward to touch down in a big piazza lined with white marble government buildings and outdoor cafés. Bikes and Vespas clogged the surrounding streets, but the square itself was empty except for pigeons and a few people drinking expressos. 

     None seemed to notice the huge Greek warship hovering over the piazza, nor the fact that they had just floated down━Jason weilding his gold sword and Sam and Leo ... well, empty-handed. At least Leo had his fire. At the moment, all Sam had was his head. He didn't have special powers, but he did have a well-oiled mind. He had to have one to survive. 

     "Where to?" Jason asked.

     Leo stared at him. "Wow, sure. Let me just pull out my dwarf-tracing GPS out of my tool belt ... Oh, wait! I don't have a dwarf-tracking GPS━or my tool belt!"

     Sam peered around them, then pointed across the piazza. "The ballista fired the Kerkope in that direction. They're this way."

     "You sound really sure of that, Sammy."

     Sam wasn't in the mood. But, he took a deep breath and let himself calm down to reply smartly. "Well, in consideration to an estimation of a Kerkope's weight, the power of the ballista and the trajectory, I've come to an educated guess━"

     "So, you have no idea."

     He had to remind himself Leo was just as desperate and annoyed over this situation as he was. But as a child of Athena, Sam always had a problem with his pride. "I am right. Let's go."