006

fine line — john b routledge

chapter six: the motel

────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ──────

The HMS Pogue's motor rattled throughout the marsh as the group made their way to the motel faintly labeled on the key that Monica retrieved from the wreck. The teenagers had decided that Monica and JJ should go in because Monica was the one who found the key and JJ . . . well, JJ's JJ, and he demanded to go in. "It's an adventure!" He'd exclaimed. "And we all know that I love adventures."

     "Jesus," Pope had scoffed. "You sound like a child."

     ( It was ironic; JJ pouted like one as well. )

     As the ship neared the building, JJ whistled, "I thought the Château looked bad."

     "This place is a shitshow," agreed Monica, veering left to not crash into the seagrass.

     Kie's nose shriveled in disgust. "Motel or meth lab?"

     "You be the judge," Pope replied.

     "Doesn't look like a place somebody with a Grady-White stays," Monica shook her head, turning the wheel to the left.

     "No. Looks like a place someone with a Grady-White would get killed," finished Pope, deadpan.

     "All right, here we go." JJ then mimed chatting through an announcer. "This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing."

     Monica cut the engine and let the boat drift towards land, allowing JJ to freely hop onto the grass and dock the boat with a simple bowline knot.

     "We good?" checked Monica.

     "We good," JJ confirmed.

     "All right," Monica clicked her tongue, moving to step off the boat, only to be stopped by Pope.

     "Hey," he called, ushering Monica to turn around. "Don't let him do anything stupid." He motioned to the Maybank teen, who was leaning against the bow of the HMS Pogue next to Kiara.

     "Oh, we will," he innocently smiled, prompting Monica to face Pope once again.

     "I'm not making promises," she breathed out, running a hand through her slightly knotted waves ( due to her extended time underwater ).

     Pope sighed exasperatedly in defeat. "Yeah, I know."

     Kie ( awkwardly ) placed a hand on JJ's shoulder, grasping everyone's attention, especially his. "Uh," she started, oddly staring into his eyes before her gaze shifted to where she placed the motel key in his hand. "Be careful. I mean it."