009

fine line — john b routledge

chapter nine: the boneyard

────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ──────

To fully grasp the concept of the Outer Banks, one must understand the significance of the boneyard.

     The boneyard is practically the symbolic center of the Outer Banks. It's the watering hole; teenagers of all sorts and backgrounds gather to drink illegally and smoke until they physically can't take any more. It's the only time Pogues, Kooks, and Tourons ( try ) to set aside their differences for one night and party collectively. The three-layer burrito, as JJ called it. Chug races, wrestling, you name it; it's at the boneyard.

     Monica was wearing a soft, silky white top with intricate cherry red designs fastened over her light green bandeau bathing suit. Her legs were wrapped in dark jean shorts with harmless rips across the pockets, along with a dainty chain anklet that Kiara had gifted her for her 14th birthday. Multiple friendship bracelets dangled across her wrists, her father's bandana tied her blonde hair back, a few long strands strayed away from the tie, framing her face delicately.

     Her left hand was pressing harshly on the faucet as she clutched a solo cup in her right while operating the beer keg. She and Kiara had switched places a couple of minutes ago, Kie leaving to talk to a handsome brunette while Monica was creating small talk with the teenagers she was serving alcohol to.

     Keggers were one of the not so many things that took her mind off of reality, her father, DCS . . .  the list could go on and on. She didn't have opportunities to escape actuality as others did. No, she was left to fend them off with her bare hands.

     A polite redheaded girl had come over to Monica, offering to man the keg. The blonde gratefully accepted, but not before filling a plastic cup of beer for the girl, whose name she learned was Evelina, to last her for the night.

     Monica didn't even get the chance to travel more than 15 feet away from the long, awaiting line of teens before Kiara roughly grabbed onto her elbow and dragged her the other way.

     "Uh, hello? Hi, how are you?" she sarcastically greeted, changing her feet position from dragging across the rocky sand to walking in step with her. Kiara released her grip.

     "Not good," she bluntly said, stopping when they got to a vast and jagged branch. "Look."

     Monica complied, glancing over to a red buoy labeled "8" in chipping paint with a smashed lightbulb atop. Topper Thornton was playfully slapping John B's ankles as his friend climbed the structure and took a seat, laughing along with each other.

     "What is he doing here?" Kiara darkly asked, eyes trained on the sight in front of her.

     Another thing about John B Routledge was that he and Kiara ( possibly ) had a past. The Carrera girl always denied it when they would ask, which led Monica to believe that the rumors were false. But she never gave them any more knowledge about their relationship.