six | SKIPPING STONES IS A BONDING ACTIVITY

VALENTINE DIDN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT Grover or his searchers licence very much. She just didn't have much else better to do. She stood on the sidelines alongside Percy, Juniper, Clarisse and Annabeth, watching Grover's trial.

"B-but Silenus," Grover stammered. "It's the truth!"

The Council satyr, Silenus, turned to his colleagues and muttered something. Chiron cantered up to the front and stood next to them. At least Grover would have one member of the council on his side. The other elders didn't look very impressive; huge bellies, sleepy expressions, and glazed eyes. Why would Grover be nervous? It wasn't as if these old goats could do much damage.

Silenus tugged his yellow polo shirt over his belly and adjusted himself on his rosebush throne. "Master Underwood, for six months—six months— we have been hearing these scandalous claims that you heard the wild god Pan speak."

"But I did!" Grover insisted.

Val vaguely recalled the same day she had arrived at Camp Half-Blood, Grover had run up to them, wild-eyed, claiming he'd heard Pan speak to him. Personally, Val didn't understand this whole Pan business. No one had bothered to explain it to her.

"Impudence!" said the elder on the left.

"Now, Maron," Chiron said. "Patience."

"Patience, indeed!" Maron said. "I've had it up to my horns with this nonsense. As if the wild god would speak to ... to him."

Juniper looked like she wanted to charge the old satyr and beat him up (which Val would have loved to see), but Annabeth and Clarisse held her back. "Wrong fight, girlie," Clarisse muttered. "Wait."

Percy looked very surprised. Clarisse holding someone back from a fight was quite ... odd is a way of putting it. She and Annabeth, who despised each other, almost seemed like they were working together. Val had heard of a little of what the two had been doing, but Percy looked baffled.

"For six months," Silenus continued, "we have indulged you, Master Underwood. We let you travel. We allowed you to keep your searcher's license. We waited for you to bring proof of your preposterous claim. And what have you found in six months of travel?"

"I just need more time," Grover pleaded.

"Nothing!" the elder in the middle chimed in. "You have found nothing."

"But, Leneus—"

Silenus raised his hand. Chiron leaned in and said something to the satyrs. The satyrs didn't look happy. They muttered and argued among themselves, but Chiron said something else, and Silenus sighed. He nodded reluctantly.

"Master Underwood," Silenus announced, "we will give you one more chance."

Grover brightened. "Thank you!"

"One more week."

"What? But sir! That's impossible!"

"One more week, Master Underwood. And then, if you cannot prove your claims, it will be time for you to pursue another career. Something to suit your dramatic talents. Puppet theater, perhaps. Or tap dancing." Val furrowed her brows. Now even she was finding the old goat annoying.

"But sir, I—I can't lose my searcher's license. My whole life—"

"This meeting of the council is adjourned," Silenus said. "And now let us enjoy our noonday meal!"

The old satyr clapped his hands, and a bunch of nymphs melted out of the trees with platters of vegetables, fruits, tin cans, and other goat delicacies. The circle of satyrs broke and charged the food. Grover walked dejectedly towards the crew on the sidelines.