Chapter 1

"Clay, you do something about him because I've had enough" Rio slammed the door after throwing over his shoulder "I'll be back in a week, maybe more" Then he was gone. His heavy footfalls echoing across the paved ground. The stomping of his feet an obvious indication to his mood.

Clay gritted his teeth as he pushed his hat further down over his eyes and headed out the back door. He had enough work to do all ready without babysitting his younger brother. Blaze had made his own bed and for all Clay could care at the moment could lay in it. As much as he loved his little brother, it was hard to be in the same room as him without either of them blowing up. "Lillian could you see if you can try and get Blaze out of his pigsty of a room please. And maybe get him to eat some food? I've got some pastures that need tending if you will. Oh and the new housekeeper should be arriving today but i'll probably be busy so could you just get her settled for me" Clay threw over his shoulder as he made his own retreat from their house.

Lillian stared at the retreating figure of Clay. Tutting under her breath she went to make a sandwich with ham and cheese for Blaze. As a child, a faze he went through was just eating ham and cheese sandwiches which lasted almost 3 months, until he discovered peanut butter and strawberry jam. Then a new faze happened. The boys needed more than a housekeeper, Lillian pondered. Preferably someone to keep them happy but out of trouble at the same time. She was seventy three years old and the boys were gonna be the death of her. She just couldn't keep up with the constant shouting and arguing that had been happening a lot lately since Blaze came back home. Moving slowly through the living room and towards the downstairs guest room that Blaze had taken residence in, she noted that the place definitely did need a housekeeper. Especially since the last one quit 3 weeks ago because of the boys. And that had been the 8th one this year. Carefully balancing the tray on her hip she knocked gently on the door, when no replied came she walked in, her face screwed up at the sour smell of whisky and stale body odour. Shaking her head she went to open the curtains then a window to air the dark room. She moved towards the window, careful of the things thrown on the floor and set the tray on a side table whilst opening the curtains to let daylight in. She almost screamed when a deep voice yelled out.

"Goddam it, shut the fucking curtains Lillian. I don't want them open. If I wanted the fucking sunlight in my eyes I would'a done it my self" A harsh voice snarled from where his head was buried under quilts and covers. Pillows littered the floor around the double bed covered mostly in wrappers and empty bottles thrown hazardous.

Lillian glared at the figure laying in the bed. Bare from the waist up from what she could tell where he laid diagonal across the double bed. Blaze McCauley could be a very scary man when he wanted to be. Definitely now with his months grown stubble on his face and blood shot eyes from over drinking. At over 6 ft 2, his whole persona could be intimidating anyway without the added benefits. His dark brown hair normally trimmed close to his head hung loose and matted around his head. Not being washed for God only knows long. He was still muscled but had lost a lot of weight from not eating. Blaze ignored Lillian completely, bending over to grab the half full bottle of whisky and downing many mouthfuls. He gestured with his hand for Lillian to leave but she had things to say.

"Now you listen to me young man, your not too old to go over my knee if I see fit and the way your heading I doubt you'll be alive long enough to get there. You stink and so does this room. Just get up and take a bath maybe eat something whilst I sort this place out"

Blaze growled at Lillian but she took no notice as she started picking up things off the floor. Dirty t-shirts and pants, with empty bottles of alcohol mainly whisky. Blaze ignored Lillian as she went through the normal routine of attempting to get his room to look halfway to decent. She ranted on about cleaning and hygiene whilst Blaze added his occasional snort or hrmpf.