~• Chapter 3 ~•

// Sonics POV //

It's so cold up here, but at least I'm all alone. Argh, why can't everything just be alright! I feel like a failure all the time. What happened to the hero who was always happy?!

"Hey faker... why aren't you dancing downstairs with the others?" I heard someone say.

I turned my head to see shadow standing beside me.

"Sh-shadow?! What are you doing here?!" I gasp in surprise.

How did he find me? Oh chaos, is he here to make fun of me? Thats the last thing I want. I've been thinking about him too much and I can't bear the thought that he dislikes me.

He bent down and cupped my face, wiping the tears off of my cheeks. I feel my face heat up.

"It's not normal to see you in this state. Why don't you tell me what's the matter?" Shadow said softly.

I shouldn't trust him, after all, we're rivals. We aren't supposed to comfort each other. But... he's the only one here. And he's here to help me right?

"No... you should go back inside. Everyone will be looking for you and you don't want to listen to my problems" I said, pulling myself away from him.

Shadow tilted his head, then laughed.

"Oh don't worry, no one ever tries to look for me. And as for your problems... I want to hear them. You can't keep them locked up inside forever" he said, sitting down next to me.

I looked down at my knees, thinking about all the times I've looked for him so we could talk.

"That's not true. I've always been looking around for you. You're just so tough to find. The others probably just gave up on trying to find you" I said, earning a confused stare from shadow.

"Don't look at me like that shads, you know you like to hide too" I exclaimed, and shadow grinned.

"True, true, but that's beside the point. You can talk to me sonic. I know we're not the best of friends, but that's always subject to change. You still matter despite what anyone else thinks"

Wow, he used my actual name? I forgot he was even capable of that.

"I just need to be alone shads. Trust me. I'm completely fine. See?" I faked smiled to try and get him to go away, but he didn't look amused.

"Don't lie to me sonic. I know there is something wrong. You know you can talk to me right? Am I really so bad you can't even exchange a few words?" Shadow asked sadly.

Ugh I hate that I feel guilty. It's just he's the exact opposite. He's great. He is always shown in a good light, even though he isn't really on anyone's side. I think he's pretty cool. I've always wanted to be good friends with him. He's different from all the rest of my friends. But in a good way.

I shed another tear and sigh.

"No shadow. You're good. I just don't want to be a burden and share all my negative thoughts" I say.

He took one of my hands and rubbed the palm of it gently with his thumb.

"You will never be a burden for sharing your emotions sonic. Now tell me... what's on your mind that hurts you so badly?"

I weakly smiled at shadow.

"Well to start off with, tails has been getting more and more independent, which is great and all, he gets to see the world for himself! But... I still want to help him out. There isn't much I do apart from save people from egg head, and it makes me feel kinda useless. I'm here to help everyone, not laze around and eat chilli dogs all the time!" I say, my voice getting weaker and my eyes clouding up again.

"The world is always constantly watching me too. I'm afraid if I make even one mistake, everyone will turn against me. I'll be all alone with nothing to live for. Boredom is hitting me harder more than ever now, and I feel too tired to do anything. I'm so weak shads. I can't even get out of bed because of how sick and tired I am of being here sometimes." I squeezed shadows hand a bit, trying to hold in some of my tears.

"All my feelings have just spiralled out of control and I can't keep track of my emotions now. Reality just keeps slipping away and I can't do anything about it. I feel so foolish... so... trapped. I can't be bothered to pretend I'm okay, to only go back to crying when alone again. I don't want to think anymore. I don't want cry any longer, but I can't stop this mess. Unless... No... I can't but...I can't do anything else to help myself. I would much rather die than feel this pain" I finished off, taking my hands back and hiding my face in them.

This is so embarrassing.

Suddenly, I feel shadow hugging me tightly. I accept the hug and wrap my arms around his neck, hiding my face and crying into his chest fluff. I felt him slowly stroke my quills. I wish I never had to turn to someone else to help me, but I'm feeling a bit better now that I know I'm not completely on my own anymore.

"It's okay sonic... I'm here for you. I'll help you to the best of my ability. I don't know what it's like to be in your position, but I do know that I would like to spend more time with you" shadow said in a warm tone, and I hugged him tighter.

We sat there together, in each other's arms for a while until I calmed down a little bit.

"What do you do when you're upset?" I asked shadow curiously.

"Well... normally I go to rouge, or I think about someone important to me being here to comfort me, but I have an idea in mind to help you take your mind off of things" he responded.

"What could that be?"

He pulled away and held my hands in his, making me blush a bit.

"How about we dance?"