Cause I Was Only A Kid When I Fell- II

M'Gann had probably not felt this out of her depth since she snuck onto her uncle's ship and stowed away to earth.

She didn't even know what she was doing. She was given a photo of some guy and told to get him alone at the party Bee was attending. That was it. nothing about why Bee wanted M'Gann to separate the man from the rest of the guests, or where, or when, or what she wanted M'Gann to do once she'd managed to get the man alone. She got the guy's photo and on the way to the event Bee finally gave her a name- Cyrus Nickel.

She was so busy trying to keep track of her own identity for the night, how the hell was she supposed to pay attention to someone else? Not to mention the dress she was wearing was really annoying and her hair was making the side of her neck hot. How did fancy glamorous people cope? There were so many women with their hair down, many had it sitting over their shoulders like M'Gann was, how were they so effortlessly charming while their hair turned the sides of their necks into saunas? she supposed it didn't help her case that she was hiding weapons.

A hand ghosted along M'Gann's back and she didn't manage to stop herself from reacting before the flinch, but she played it off as best she could once she noticed it was just Bee. The monarch was standing by her side, a hand against her lower back, and giving her a disapproving gaze that had fear bubbling up in M'Gann's stomach.

"pay attention to your surroundings."

"I- I'm sorry I just... you said I can't use my powers and-"

"You need to be able to do your job without relying on a crutch," Bee said, "you have your target, get him alone, I will not accept failure."

"yes ma'am."

M'Gann swallowed down the anxiety beating away inside her chest and broke away from Bee, moving by autopilot as she manoeuvred through the crowd. She recognised some people from the news or past briefings Bee had given her. After a moment of calming her heart beat she plastered a smile to her face and started striking up conversations with those people she recognised.

"here's your mission file."

The manilla folder was about two centimetres thick, it slapped onto the metal table in front of him.

"memorise his face, name, personal details. The blueprints for the building are in the back of the folder. Memorise that, too. I want three different plans outlined by this afternoon as to how you are going to handle this mission. The guest list is also in the folder. You can take any gear that you can fit on your person."

"can I have maps of the surrounding area, Sir?"

A small smile of approval, and then a much shorter pile of papers were placed next to the file.

"thank you."

"don't disappoint me."

"I won't, sir."

Eventually M'Gann did manage to find a table of people, chatting away about something or other, where her target was sitting. She recognised one of the women there, Anastasia Gin, and the identity M'Gann was using had met the woman before as well which made it a perfect in. there was an empty seat at Anastasia's elbow and M'Gann slid in with a surprised grin.

"Annie, oh my goodness, it's been so long since I've seen you!"

Anastasia gasped as she turned to angle herself towards M'Gann more, "Delilah! Oh look at you, you're absolutely radiant, I love the braids, how long did they take?"