Chapter 2 - Welcome To The Lucky Lamb

Song: Sleepwalk - Ritchie Valens

****

My fingers drummed on the steering wheel, as the sun set and the light started to get dim and I obsessively checked the sides of the road ahead for those big bouncy steroid rabbits.

All I could see in front of me was the old dirt road, with trees and bush land either side of me; no other signs of civilization.

Some anxiety started creeping back in as it got darker and I still saw no signs of a town; and my only reassurance was I decided that if in the next ten minutes I hadn't found anything — my ass was doing a quick as hell u-turn and going straight back.

Shoving two pieces of strawberry Hubba Bubba in my mouth gave me something else to focus on as well, practicing how big I could blow bubbles with the bubble gum gave my worries a distraction.

9 minutes passed, and then I saw it.

A large sign with 'Welcome to Clovertown' written on it. It had the image of a sheep underneath with a four leaf clover on its back end.

They're really into this sheep thing aren't they?

I'm so used to the city, there's always some kind of street lights or people around but out here is totally different.

It's a different kind of pitch black darkness when night time hits. The sky's the clearest I'd ever seen, with every star visible.

I'd think it's pretty if it wasn't giving me this eery feeling.

I've totally misjudged the time it'd take to get here, considering looking at my watch now it read 5:45pm.

The trees start to disperse as I reach the entry to the town, and it looks completely dead.

There's no people around anywhere, only some lights on inside the few houses I pass but it also feels like I've jumped in a time machine and been thrown back in time.

All of the houses look the same, like nothing new here has been built since the fifties... or hell even eighteen hundreds.

I pass another service station, but this one looks even older and more run down than the one I was at earlier. It's lights are off and it's closed except for a faint flickering green glow from it's neon light out the front.

It feels like a literal ghost town. It's hard to believe it's even real. I've never seen anything like it.

"Where the hell is everyone?"

Finally I reach what seems to be the town centre, and I'm tempted to drive down it considering it only seems like this road is the Main Street of the entire place but something else catches my eye.

A motel sign. Neon Green.

'The Lucky Lamb'

But it's the vacancy sign that catches my eyes the most.