3. Jordan's Catharsis

I rode home after school to find Jordan stretched on the sofa reading a book. I raised an eyebrow in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

He seemed startled to hear my voice all of a sudden, and turned to narrow his gaze on me. "I stayed home today."

I dropped my bag. "Why?"

"I was feeling ill, if you must know everything."

My stance softened and I sat beside him. "What happened? Is it fever?" I leaned forward to lay my hand on his forehead and check his temperature, but he brushed me off midway.

"I'm fine now, it was just a headache... didn't I tell you yesterday I went for a walk in the cold?"

"Oh, okay." Like I ever believed that. "How're you feeling now?" I persisted, not discouraged by his brusqueness.

"I'm good, okay? Now stop pestering me and go have lunch."

I nodded and got up, heading for the kitchen.

"Don't forget to microwave it first... it must have gotten cold now." He shouted across the hallway.

I smiled. "Yeah!" I yelled back.

It was vegetable meat balls with a spicy curry and rice today on the menu. Yum, one of our favourites.

I brought my lunch into the living room and sat on the sofa across from him. After eating in silence for a few minutes, I finally decided to bring up the matter of the letter.

"So, what did you decide?"

He looked up from the book, and gave me a blank look, indicating he hadn't understood what I was talking about.

"About Grandma's offer, of course." Before leaving for school today, I'd left the envelope with the letter conspicuously on the dining table.

He took a deep breath and, turning to his book again, murmured, "I haven't yet thought of it," more to himself than to me.

So at least he'd read it!

I rolled my eyes. "When will you, then? You know she'd hate it if she got a late reply. And," I paused for effect, "how could you still be thinking about it? Obviously, we have to go! We can't say no to her. That would be so rude, and, anyway, she really wants us to come... didn't you see just how expectant and eager she seemed?"

"You know I have something called college to see to as well?" he said curtly.

"So, you'll give her that excuse? I know your college will be undergoing renovations this summer, and all classes will remain cancelled for at least a month and a half," I narrowed my eyes.

He did the same. "And how do you know that, miss smarty-pants?"

"Read it in a circular you accidentally dropped once." Averting his gaze, I looked down into the bowl of food.

He rolled his eyes. "Just stop being so nosy."

"I'm not." I made a face.

"Aren't you getting late for work?" He skilfully diverted the topic, as well as my attention.

I glanced at the clock hung on the wall behind me, and gasped. "Oh god, you're right! I'll have to leave this minute or I wouldn't hear the end of it from Larry!"

It was four pm already, and for my four-hour-long shift I was supposed to be at the café at 3:45. I hurried to the kitchen to stash my plate in the sink, then quickly washed my hands, grabbed my coat off the hanger, and started looking for my bicycle keys. Only they wouldn't be found when I needed them urgently, as usual. Okay, I'll admit it—I'm forgetful enough to misplace something I've used minutes ago. Well, not everyone's perfect!