5. Work in Progress

"We're going to Belgium!!" I yelled into my phone as soon as J went downstairs to cook dinner. "Jordan and I just had a talk, after soooo long!" I was giddy with excitement.

"Ouch, my ears!" exclaimed Charmaine.

"That's amazing, Meg! How'd this happen? Also, when are you leaving?" Ingrid asked.

"Summer vacation! And long story."

"Wait, you decided this last summer and you're not sure when you're leaving?" Char said, the confusion evident in her tone.

"No, silly, she's going this summer. How her brother got convinced is the long story," Ingrid explained as I grinned.

"I can't believe it yet. It seems too good to be true! I need you guys to pinch me," I said.

"Wanna have us come over?" I could hear Grid's smile over the phone.

"Nah, actually, I'd like to keep Jordan to myself for a while. It really looks like he's changed. At last," I sighed happily. "He cooked lunch today even though it was my turn, and now he's back in the kitchen making supper."

"Well, that's definitely an improvement. Also, what's he cooking?" Char asked not-too-subtly.

I laughed. "I don't know, but I'll make sure to text you as soon as I do."

"Don't send me a picture... it's too painful."

"This girl would make a terrific actress, don't you think Meg?" Ingrid joked. "And, hey, aren't you at work right now? I thought your shift didn't end until 8 pm."

"Yeah... it does end at eight, but I didn't go in today. That's the long story I mentioned," I said, taking a deep breath. "We almost had an accident on the way."

"Wha—How?"

"Oh my god, are you two alright?"

My friends, very concerned now, burst out at the same time. I filled them in on the details, recounting the close brush Jordan and I had barely two hours ago.

"Wow, you're really smart, M! I mean, if I were in your place that time, I'd probably be frozen with fear," Char declared, and I managed a smile.

"Yeah, it would have been pretty horrific," Ingrid added. After a pause, she spoke again, "So, I might sound stupid saying this, but Meg, you should consider filing a report with the police, you know, just in case that was, I don't know, a deliberate attempt to hurt you guys."

I blinked, and an incredulous laugh escaped my lips. "What? No, why would anyone want to do that?" The thought hadn't even occurred to me, but it was scary, even if there was no chance of it being true.

"I know, and in all probability there's nothing like that at all, but if you file a complaint, you can help the police catch that driver so he doesn't do such a rash thing again, even unintentionally, right?" she hastened to explain.

"Yeah, Grid's right, Meg. But anyway, let's not divert our attention from the main highlight of your day—girl, you're going to Belgium!" Char's attempt at changing the topic wasn't subtle, but I was glad all the same. After all, ignoring all sorts of negativity was my tried-and-tested method of dealing with it.

"Uh huh... can't wait for the next six weeks to pass!" I said. "Hey, I'll talk to you guys later, okay? I think Jordan's calling me downstairs."

"Yeah, take care!"

"Bye!"

As I ended the call, my gaze fell onto the frame peeking out from behind the wide-bottomed lamp on my bedside table. I carefully pulled it out. It held a picture of my parents with Jordan and me, clicked on my tenth birthday. Their carefree smiles tugged at my heart. It was weird to think the people that looked the most alive in the photograph did not exist in reality anymore. Whatever had they done to deserve such a fate? What had we ever done?