The Letter Everyones Dreads

"Lily?" said James tentatively. She brushed her eyes quickly and gulped. He walked across the Heads common room to where she sat in an armchair. A letter lay in her lap.

"Lily, you need to hurry up, or we'll miss Defence..." He trailed off when a fresh wave off tears came pouring from her green eyes. "Lily what is it?" She continued to cry wordlessly. "Lily, you're scaring me." She still said nothing, but her eyes slipped to the letter. James picked it up from her lap and scanned through it quickly.

Dear Miss Evans,

It gives us great regret to inform you that your parents, Marie Sara Evans and Joseph Alfred Evans, passed on last night as a result of a Death Eater attack on their home in Surrey. We will inform you as to arrangements for the funerals in due course. Your sister, Petunia Evans, was at the home of her partner at the time and is unharmed.

We offer once again our condolences.

Yours in deepest sympathy,

The Department of War Communications

"Oh, Lily." he said softly, letting the letter fall to the floor. "I know it doesn't make a difference, but I'm so sorry."

Nervously, he reached out and touched her shoulder. She flinched, and he pulled away. He moved to go.

"Don't – don't go." she whispered, lifting her red rimmed eyes to his face. "Don't go."

Without realising what he was doing, James wrapped his arms around her, letting her cry on his shoulder. She didn't pull away, and gradually the tears stopped, merging into dry sobs, her shoulders racking. James just sat, his arms around her, the only thought in his head was stopping her pain.

"c'mon." she said at last, lifting up her head. "We're really late."

Before James could say anything, Lily stood up and strode determinedly toward the door. James hesitated, knowing that if she pushed back the pain and tried to act normally, it would only hurt more when she did allow herself to mourn. But it didn't look like she'd listen to anything he said right then.

_._._._._._

Harry was leaning against his desk. He frowned. "Does anyone know where Potter or Evans are?" The class gave a universal headshake.

At that moment Lily walked in. It was obvious she'd been crying. She took her place and pulled out her books and wand too fast, knocking them to the floor. Without warning, she burst once again into tears, and crouched down to cram the books back into her bag. Her ink bottle slipped from her hand and she let out an angry sob and ran out.

Ginny looked at Harry quickly, and he nodded. She walked briskly from the room, her high heels rapping. Harry looked after her for a second, but then continued with the lesson.

"So. Who can tell me the tell tale signals of a vampire. Mr Lupin?"

_._._._._._

James hitched his bag higher onto his shoulder. Lily had disappeared ahead of him a long time ago. Suddenly, a flash of red hair brushed past him. Lily ran down the corridor, parchment, quills and books spilling from her open bag.

He was about to go after her again when a voice stopped him.

"James!"

He turned to see Ginny watching him. He had a feeling that she had also been intending to go after Lily.

"Do you know what's going on with her. She walked out of class and Harry-sorry, Professor Potter, sent me after her."

James looked down at the floor.

"Her parents were killed by Death Eaters." He looked up to see an expression of genuine sadness on the young woman's face.

She sighed. "I'll go after her."

He frowned. "I doubt you'll find her if she doesn't want to be found."

Ginny gave a humourless smile, and looked down the corridor, her brown eyes narrowed. "I have my ways."

Hello!

I know this chapter is short but I promise the next chapter will be longer than this.

Hope u like this chapter

Please Review and vote

Much Love,

Firefly15💗💗