1.

One touch. My mood drastically drops. A hand settles on my hip that is so familiar and so ill-feeling. I wish I could rip his hand off. His fingertips dig deeper into my skin. Another fake smile forces its way to my lips as he kisses my temple in front of the others. It's another empty kiss that is just for show.

The music is pounding heavily, and I can feel it radiating through my ribcage. It reeks of alcohol, and the air is musty with smoke. The party to kick off the start of the school year is alive with drunken students wandering about, dancing, and having the time of their lives. I'm jealous of everyone here that can enjoy it.

"How about a little cheer to the start of the year and you guys possibly being scouted for the big leagues," Ali bursts into a big smile. Her black curls fall to her waist, and her pink dress compliments her light brown skin. Her cheeks are reddening from the amount of alcohol she has already downed in the little time that we have been here.

Another fake smile.

Another small laugh.

Another bitter drink down.

"I think you've had enough," Josh remarks after I take down a shot of tequila with the others. There's a burn in my throat that radiates to my sternum from the little drink. It's disgusting, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth, but I'm not drunk or even close to being drunk. He takes the red cup from my hand and runs his hand through his brown hair. My insides tighten as I try not to say a word.

"Oh, she isn't even drunk. Besides, this is a celebration for our last year here, and you possibly getting into Manchester United," Hannah pouts. I admire her so much and always have since we were younger—my best friend with that gorgeous blonde hair and bright blue eyes that light up so quickly. The tight blue dress brings out her eyes significantly. She sways her hips a little to the music before sipping the beverage in her red cup.

"Yeah, Megan is not drunk enough," Ali snorts in laughter. Another best friend of mine that I have come to love, having met her here at the University of London three years ago.

Josh's hand is on my hip, and he grips tightly, silently telling me to oblige. My stomach clenches, and my throat is dry. I nod in an unwanted agreement and swallow back the ill feeling. "I'm not in the mood anyways," I state, below the pounding music.

Of course, I'm already being cut off by him.

Hannah blows out a raspberry before grabbing onto Derek's arm. He also has brown hair and brown eyes, much like Josh, but he's taller and kinder. I have no idea where Shane had run off to, but the tall blonde is the last of this friend group. The three football players of our friend group that we had somehow befriended our first year here.

My eyes fall on familiar tattoos, and my heart stands still. I zone out on everyone else, eyeing the guy with brown hair and a black shirt from behind. His head turns just enough for me to see his stubbled jawline, and any air in my lungs starts to escape me. Derek is suddenly blocking my line of sight, reaching over to grab something from Ali. My lashes flutter, and I try to look around him.

He vanished, like some ghost, into thin air. Three girls now stand there, downing shots, and I look away. My mind is playing tricks on me. There's no way that was him. It's too dangerous to think back on that Summer night when Josh has this protective hold on me. I'm afraid that somehow he knows exactly what I'm thinking about, and I don't want an earful. My fingertips move through my brown hair, ruining the soft curls that I had made.

"Holy crap, who is that with Shane?" Ali captures my attention. Her brown eyes are wide and doe-like as she gazes ahead. Her fingertips mindlessly play with one of her curls in the flirtatious way she does so often. Everyone looks in the direction that she's looking, including me. Shane finally approaches with a big grin that shows off the dimple on his left cheek.