Prologue

[A couple scenes throughout Florie's childhood.]

1890

Florie Underwood stepped into the lavish mansion, gripping her tattered stuffed dog tightly.

Katherine ran up to her and hugged her tightly. "You're here! Oh, Florie, we're going to have so much fun! We can have tea parties and play with dolls and do so much more."

Florie nodded slowly. "That sounds fun."

Katherine frowned. "Not to you. Why are you so sad?"

"My parents got sick and died."

"Oh. I'm so sorry, Florie."

"It's okay."

Florie's bags were taken to a room upstairs and she looked around. "Is this all for me?"

Katherine nodded. "Father only wants the best for his favorite niece."

"I'll have to make sure to tell him I love it."

"He'll be glad to hear it I'm sure."

1894

Florie walked up to Katherine to see her writing something down. "What are you doing?"

Katherine glanced up. "I'm practicing my writing skills. I'm going to become a reporter."

"A reporter? That sounds like a wonderful thing. I want to become one too."

"Are you sure? It's not as easy as it seems."

"Is any job really that easy? Oh, I'm off to see the sights. Care to join me?"

"No, I'm going to keep at this. Be careful, and-"

"Be back before supper. I know Uncle Joe's rule."

"Do you have an escort?"

"No. I don't need one. Exploring is more fun alone."

Katherine let out a sigh. "Be careful, Florie."

"I will. Good luck on your writing."

"Thanks."

Florie grabbed her jacket and left the mansion. She wandered the streets and soon found herself in Longacre Square. She sat in front of a statue and looked at the bustling city.

A boy in a blue shirt walked up to her and said, "Kid nearly drowns, hero saves his life. Buy a pape, miss?"

Florie pulled out a nickel he took it before handing her the paper with a wink.

She rolled her eyes and began reading the paper.

As the sun began setting, Florie glanced up and her eyes widened. She grabbed her paper and rushed home.

The maid frowned and said, "You're lucky your uncle hasn't seated himself, Miss Florie. Wash up for dinner and sit at the table."

Florie did as she was told and as she made her way to the dining room, Katherine joined her and said, "How was out in the town today?"

Florie smiled. "It was good. I bought a newspaper from a newsie. He was cocky though. I wasn't pleased by that. But it was fun. How was your afternoon?"

"I finally finished my article."

"That's great! I'd love to read it when we finish supper."

"It's a work in progress."

"I'm sure it'll be great. You're a splendid writer."

They sat at the table and ate in silence.

After supper, Florie and Katherine were in Katherine's room reading her article.

"How is it?" Katherine asked nervously.

Florie smiled. "You've got real potential here, Kat."

Katherine squealed excitedly. "Thank you! You've got potential too, Florie. I've read some of your essays. I think you'll make a star reporter some day."

"You and me both, Kat."