chapter sixteen: prisoner

In the woodland realm, Legolas and Tauriel dragged their captured orc to Thranduil's throne room. As Legolas stood with his knife pressed to the orc's neck, Thranduil paced around it. "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world it festers and spreads, a shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was; so will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth."

Legolas gripped his neck closer to the Orcs neck. "You were tracking a company of thirteen dwarves. Why?" The orc chuckled before he sneered at King Thranduil, "Not thirteen; not any more. The young one, the black-haired archer, we stuck him with a Morgul shaft." The orc spoke this while facing Tauriel; she looks worried.  "The poison's is in his blood. He'll be choking on it soon." Tauriel felt the hair on her neck stand on edge. "Answer the question, filth." She spat. "Sha hakhtiz khunai-go, Golgi!" (I do not answer to dogs, She-Elf!) Legolas pushed the orc a bit as Tauriel whipped out her knife. "I would not antagonise her."

 "You like killing things, orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you!" Tauriel lunged forward as she growled at it with her knife, but Thranduil spoke.  "Farn! Tauriel, ego! Gwao hi." (Enough! Tauriel, leave! Go now.) The orc snarled at her, but Tauriel managed to regain her composure and she left.  "I do not care about one dead dwarf. Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us what you know and I will set you free." Thranduil spoke calmly.  "You had orders to kill them - Why? What is Thorin Oakenshield to you?" When the prince spoke the dwarf's name he instantly thought of his sister and where she would be by now. "The dwarf runt will never be king." This brought the prince back to reality.  "King? There is no king under the mountain nor will there ever be. None would dare enter Erebor, whilst the dragon lives."

"You know nothing! Your world will burn!"

 "What are you talking about? Speak!" Legolas ordered and he held his sword deeper into it's neck.  "Our time has come again. My master serves the One. Do you understand now, Elfling? Death is upon you. The flames of war are upon you-" Thranduil, whose eyes have widened upon hearing about "the One," suddenly whipped out his sword and beheaded the orc, leaving the orc's head in Legolas's hand. "Why did you do that? You promised to set him free." Legolas asked shocked at his fathers sudden outburst.  "And I did. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

The orc's body, although separated from its head, shook violently. Thranduil stompped on its leg to stop the shaking. "There was more the orc could tell us."

 "There was nothing more he could tell me." Thranduil turned and walked away, sheathing his sword.  "What did he mean by the 'flames of war'?" His son asked. "It means they intend to unleash a weapon so great it will destroy all before it." Thranduil addressed the elven guards. "I want the watch doubled at all our borders. All roads, all rivers. Nothing moves but I hear of it. No one enters this kingdom, and no one leaves it." Legolas looked at the door. "Maethel.." Legolas started. "She's gone with the dwarves.." Thranduil didn't turn to face his son and his face turned bitter. "Then she has chosen her side. Such a pity that she decided to betray her kind."

...

Legolas approached the elves guarding the entrance to the Woodland Realm. "Holo in ennyn! Tiro i defnin hain na ganed en-Aran." He ordered. (Close the gate! Keep it sealed by order of the King.) Legolas turned to walk away, but one of the guards called out. "Man os Tauriel?" One of the elf guards questioned and the elven prince turned around. (What about Tauriel?) Legolas stopped short.  "Man os sen?" ( What about her?)

"Edevín eb enedhor na gû a megil. En ú-nandollen." The other guard replied. (She went into the forest armed with her bow and blade. She has not returned.) As Legolas walked towards the gate, the guard pointed out toward the forest in the direction Tauriel went. Legolas looked anxious.