chapter thirty: thief

Early the next morning, the plain in front of the Lonely Mountain was full of legions of elves and men, armed for battle. Thorin and his company were also well prepared as they waited and watched from above the blockade. Thorin grits his teeth as he watches King Thranduil and Bard approach nearer on their horses. From above the blockade, Thorin aimed his bow so the arrow hit the ground right in front of the Elven King and Bard, who immediately halt in surprise.

"I will put the next one through between your eyes." Thorin drew his bow again and the Dwarves cheered again as they shook their weapons in the air. Maethel's father looked angrily at Thorin before he slightly tilted his head. In that moment, several rows of Elves near the front lines of the army pull out their bows and notch their arrows, and aimed at the Dwarves.

Thorin looked around at the guards, then at King Thranduil. Where was Maethel? He looked around and he still couldn't see her. The other Dwarves ducked behind the ramparts, before Thranduil raises his hand and the Elves easily put away their arrows. "We've come to tell you: payment of your debt has been offered... and excepted." The King of under the mountain looked shocked and utterly confused as he looked down at the other King. "What payment? I gave you nothing! You have nothing!" Thorin spat and it was then that Bard pulled the Arkenstone out of his pocket. Kili gasped and looked at Fili,who looked equally confused. "We have this.." Bard exclaimed as he held tightly onto the stone. Thorin lowered his bow.

"They have the Arkenstone? Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house. That belongs to the King!" Kili shouted with venom in his tone yet Bard somehow had stayed completely calm. "And the King may have it, in our good will." He tossed the Arkenstone in his hand before he placed it back into his pocket. There was a pause. "But first he must honour his word." Thorin laughed and whispered to himself, shaking his head slightly. "They are taking us for fools.. It's a ruse.. a filthy lie." Thorin mumbled to himself and the Dwarves nearest to him heard. Balin turned to face his King and couldn't believe what he was hearing, he never thought Thorin's mental state would deteriorate this bad. "The Arkenstone is in this mountain! It is a trick." Thorin shouted.

Bilbo Baggins shuddered as he heard his friend say this. It was now or never. Here I go, he thought to himself as he walked forward. "I-It's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." His small voice squeaked. As the hobbit spoke, he noticed Thorin's expression fill with sorrow and pure anger. "You..." Thorin said pointing at Bilbo. "I took it as my fourteenth share.."

You.." Thorin repeated. "You would steal from me?"

Fear. It was fear that now trembled through the small hobbits veins. He was full of it as Thorin got closer. "Steal from you? No. No. I may be a burglar, but I like to think that I'm an honest one. I'm willing to let that stand against my clai-" Thorin interrupted. "Against your claim? Your claim. You have no claim over me.. you miserable rat." He spat and Balin saw Bilbo flinch. Thorin threw his bow down and he stormed over towards the hobbit. "I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but.."

"But what, thief?"

"You are changed Thorin. The Dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word! He would've never doubted the loyalty of his Kin!" Bilbo shouted and for a moment Thorin heard Maethel's voice in his mind. "Bilbo's right, Thorin. You are not yourself. It's the treasure! And the mountain! Can't you see!? It has changed you. It has driven you to greed! It has made you into the very thing you hate." Her voice cracked. "Do you want to know who you are like? Do you want to hear who you sound like? Your becoming like Smaug! The very monster you hated, and cursed all your life." Then there was silence and he could hear her voice no more.

"Do not speak to me of loyalty!" Thorin shouted. "Throw him from the ramparts!" He ordered at the other Dwarves. Bilbo looked shocked and the other Dwarves just stood there, paralysed, unable to move and follow commands. "Did you not hear me!?" He shouted and he tried to grab Fili's arm but his nephew pulled away. "Fine.. I'll do it myself." He lunged forward shouting "curse you" as he struggled to reach Bilbo. Dwalin, Bofur, Fili and Kili all rushed in to pull Thorin away.