Chapter 61 - Jump

"Wait...what?" you ask. "You're in? What do you mean?"

But you're ignored as Natasha starts rummaging around in one of the black duffels and Steve kisses your cheek, his beard tickling your neck before he retreats to the back of the quinjet to change. You watch him as he pulls his dopp kit out of his duffel followed by a stack of folded clothes. He's fully absorbed in whatever he's doing, so you look over to Nat seeking an answer.

"Nat...what do you mean 'you're in'?" you ask again, turning your back on Steve to face her fully, demanding her attention. 

Nat glances up as she steps out of her shoes. "I mean I'm going down there."

"I thought it was too dangerous for you to get involved like that," you shoot back. 

Nat gives you a mournful smile. "Steve's right. He can't pull this off alone. And the odds still weren't great even with Barnes at his side." Nat takes a step towards you and places a strong hand on your shoulder. "He goes down there alone, he's not coming back. I'll take the risk to  make sure he's got a shot."

Your stomach lurches as Nat withdraws her hand and goes back to the pile of clothes she set on the table. The way Steve and Bucky had walked through the plans at the theatre made it sound like a straightforward scheme. Clearly whatever they have planned is a lot more dangerous that you thought.

"Okay," you say. "So what am I supposed to do?"

"You are staying here," Nat answers quickly, giving you a stern look. 

"Alone?" you ask incredulously. 

Nat nods.

"But...isn't there something I can do to help?" you plead.

"You want to help?" Nat laughs, pulling out a few articles of clothing from the duffel. "Keep the jet running."

"I'm not exactly a pilot, Nat," you frown, taking a step towards her with your arms crossed tightly against your chest.

"Relax," she answers, unzipping her tactical vest and laying it aside. "You won't actaully have to fly. We'll hover above the Raft until extraction."

"Key word being 'until'," you gripe. "Whenever 'until' is up, you'd better have another pilot in mind."

Nat chuckles as she pulls her tank top from her head, leaving only her tight black sports bra beneath. Shocked by her unbothered attitude, your face grows warm and you look down at the ground as she changes, trying your best to focus on her words rather than her body.

"I'll set the autopilot to respond to my virtual commands," she says. You chance a glance up in time to see her slip on a form-fitting black turtleneck before replacing her vest. Once dressed, she walks over and pats you gently on the head. "You won't have to lift a finger, солнышко."

"And if something goes wrong?" you challenge as she steps out of her jeans and into a pair of black nylon pants. "What then?"

Nat opens her mouth to answer, but a voice from behind you answers first.

"Then you get out of here."

You turn to argue with Steve, but your brain blanks the moment you see his face.

His clean-shaven face.

In shock, your jaw drops as you take in his strong cheekbones and chiseled jaw. His skin is flawless - even after a quick and dirty dry shave. Inhaling sharply to replace the breath stolen from you, you slowly reach up to let your fingers ghost across his bare skin.

Steve gives you a soft smile and raises a hand to the one that hovers above his cheek. He presses your palm flat to his face, letting his fingers rest in the spaces between yours.