Chapter 6

The boys and I followed the security guard down a large white hallway.

"He's just through that corridor." The guard told us.

"All right. Give us a sec."

"I'm gonna go in alone."

"Why?" Sam asked.

"'Cause you're an Avenger." I rolled my eyes.

"You know how he feels about that."

"Look, it's not like you two were known for frolickin' in the sun together." I said.

"He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together. Trust me. I got it." Bucky told us before heading to the door.

Sam and I followed Bucky into a room, flashlights illuminating our way as we walked.

"What are you talking about? You wanna break Zemo outta jail?" Sam asked.

"Where the hell are we, Bucky? Have you lost your mind?" I asked the 106 year old man.

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing." Bucky told us.

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars." Sam said.

"But we also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose." I said.

"Zemo's gonna mess with our minds. Especially yours. No offense." Sam told Bucky.

"Offense." Bucky said as lights turned on.

"Super Soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has a code." Bucky told us.

"I've been on the wrong side of that code, Buck and so have you. He blew up the UN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it. Did you forget that? You think the Wakandans forgot about it?" Sam asked as Bucky gave him a look.

"It's a rhetorical question. They didn't." I said.

"I know why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end." Sam told him as I crossed my arms.

"Sam, we don't know how they're gettin' the serum. We don't even know how many of them there are." Bucky said.

"Look, let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I walk you through a hypothetical?" Bucky asked.

"Bucky!"

"What did you do?" Sam asked.

"I didn't do anything." Bucky said raising his shoulders.

"Yeah, walk us through your 'hypothetical'." I said moving closer to him.

"The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meatware. The human element." Bucky pointed to his head.