Chapter 53: Never Again

Severus held me for a few minutes before I calmed down and he pulled away, holding my face.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Uhm... my uncle... he grabbed my throat and I couldn't... I couldn't breathe." Sobs threatened to overtake my body once again as the memories overwhelmed me.

"I'm so sorry, Y/n," Severus said as he rubbed my cheek with his thumb, softly wiping the tears from my cheeks. "I promise you he can't hurt you anymore. He is in Azkaban and he can't hurt you anymore. No one will ever hurt you again." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear as a look of determination flashed in his eyes. "Never again," he whispered, more to himself than anyone else.

I felt Minerva's weight shift on the bed as she stood up, a small smile on her face as she watched Severus stroking my cheek. She moved to the door before turning to face us.

"Whenever you are ready, Y/n... I'll have breakfast ready in the kitchen and then we can leave... whenever you're ready, dear," she said. I nodded as she left, beginning to prepare breakfast. Severus and I rolled out of bed and I moved toward my trunk, pulling some clothing from it and walking down the hall to the bathroom. I quickly changed and used the bathroom before standing in front of the mirror and pulling my hair out of my face. I sighed heavily, placing my hands on the countertop as I felt my anxiety rise. I focused on breathing deeply, watching as my chest rose and fell. My heart rate slowed and I opened the bathroom door returning to our shared room. Severus was staring out the window when I approached, already dressed and deep in thought. He turned around, slowly walking toward me. His hands slowly traveled up my arms, leaving goosebumps as they traveled.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked me, his hands moving up and down my arms softly.

"No, but you'll be there," I chuckled, trying to convince myself. "It'll be fine." He nodded, pulling my body flush to his.

"I'll be there every step of the way," he whispered into my hair. "I won't leave until you push me away. You're kinda stuck with me." He chuckles, kissing the top of my head.

"I better be stuck with you, Mr. Snape," I replied, slowly pulling away, my arms still wrapped around his neck, my fingers gently playing with his hair. He chuckled before we separated and left our shared room, walking down the hallway and into the kitchen. Minerva had set the table with breakfast and we took a seat.

We ate in silence for a few moments before Minerva finally spoke.

"Does your uncle's home have a fireplace dear?"

"Yes," I replied, though I hadn't seen it in years. I hadn't seen much of the house other than the basement in years.

"We'll travel by Floo... just to make it quicker, dear."

"Yeah, no, that's fine, Minnie. Whatever gets this day over with the quickest," I replied. She smiled at me before finishing her breakfast. Severus and I finished ours and we helped cleared the table.

By the time we finished, my anxiety had grown and I could feel my heart racing in my chest. My palms were shaky and I focused on steadying them as Severus came up behind me. My hands were in front of me as I focused on steadying them, staring out the window. Severus moved his arms around my body trailing his hands down my arm before his fingers intertwined with mine in front of me, his face resting on my shoulder.

"What's up, gorgeous?" he asked. I chuckled, turning my body to face his.

"Just thinking about returning to hell. How about you, handsome?"

He chuckled before pressing his lips to my forehead.

"Not much, darling. You ready?"

"No," I chuckled. "But, let's get this over with." I walked with Severus to Minerva's fireplace. She stood waiting with a small cup of Floo Powder in her hands.