(Ch.2) Love of another Wolf {pt.2}

Outside/Inside the school grounds
Garth let go of Lilly's hand. He sighed heavily, then weakly leaned against the wall on the outside of school. He stared at the ground.

"Garth? You okay, my macho alpha?" Lilly asked with concern as she reached up and placed a paw on Garth's shoulder.

Shaking his head, Garth sighed again before speaking. "Lilly... I love you but... N-not the way I used to."

Lilly's face fell, her ears flattening and her tail hanging low. "Wh-what? What's wrong with me?" she whined.

"Lilly don't do that... Please, I've been thinking long and hard and I didn't want to do this but if I'm not happy I shouldn't continue in a relationship..." Garth knew he was making it worse. Ugh... he thought.

"But I'm happy, Garth... why aren't you happy?"

Garth shrugged. "I... I don't know. I'm so confused lately... I shouldn't be loving hi...!" Garth paused and looked awkwardly around. He'd almost let it slip.

But Lilly was perked up now. "Who? Hi-...? Hi- who? Are you cheating on me?!"

"No, Lilly, I'd never cheat on you or anyone! And that's why I think we should break up. I don't know if I'm confused or falling for... well, someone else. I wanted us to work but... Things have changed. I don't want to keep you from some other guy that would love you more. I'm sorry. We need to break up."

Lilly sobbed.

Garth sighed and hugged her gently. She hugged him for a few seconds, but then pushed him away. "If there's something I could do to make it easier, just tell me," Garth offered.

Lilly shook her head.

"We better go to class now, then," Garth said slowly walking away.

"Garth."

Garth turned to see Lilly with tears streaming down her face.

"Just don't hook up with someone too quickly. This hurts but that would hurt more..."

Garth nodded. "I won't."

He knew he had hurt her, but he had also done the right thing. Garth didn't love Lilly anymore, and it wouldn't have been right for him to keep her in a relationship he was no longer fully committed to. And to his surprise, he felt even more free than he had in a long, long time.

To Be Continued......