Epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

—REECE—

"Jagiya, I'm home!" I announce, pushing my front door closed before our cat, Luna, can escape. She's been having a rebellious phase, lately. Wanting to run out into the street first chance she gets.

The house is quiet as I look around, and I set down my briefcase and slip off my shoes, picking up our cat and settling her in the crook of my arm while my free hand pets her softly.

Luna purrs, long, before tucking herself into me and relaxing.

"Where's your mommy?" I ask the cat, walking further into the house. "I have some things to discuss with her."

Peering into the obvious places, I realize she isn't there. Our home used to be boring and modern. I never had the time to decorate, much less the need for it.

Though, Catalina was big on changing things around. She had once told me what her room looked like back at her father's house.

"A shoebox, really." She mused, lying beside me on the bed as we both gazed up at the ceiling. "I wouldn't even call it a room. It was smaller than our walk-in-closet."

I cursed, looking over at her. "How did you even live there? You're claustrophobic."

She shrugged, trying to act unbothered but I could see right through her act. "I never really lived back then, Reece. I just survived."

That silenced us both before she broke it. "I want to decorate."

"Our room?"

She shakes her head. "This house. I hate the modern whites and beiges. It's like we've entered a showroom and can't escape. I want to fill it with nonsense."

I reach over, clasp my hand in hers, and press a soft kiss to the back of it before looking her in the eyes. "Nothing you pick is nonsense. This is your home, Catalina. Fill it with everything you love."

And she did. No longer is my furniture white and black, instead colours she thought would match the rest of the room. Carpets decorate the ground, trinkets scatter every surface. And my wife is happy.

"Catalina! Love, where are you?" I call out again, and make my way out to the kitchen. There, the sight leaves me breathless.

My stunning wife, laughing with powdered sugar smeared on her cheek, holding a spatula in one hand and a bowl in the other, as she stirs something rapidly.

She's dressed in a simple maxi dress, the colour white with princess sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. Her mother's gold necklace is around her neck, and her new engagement ring and wedding band are secured on her ring finger.

Her sister is beside her, swatting Lina away as she tries her best to frost what I assume is a cake on the counter. Jase, amused, is cutting strawberries across from them.

Upon my presence they all look up, and my wife's face seems to light up even more, a bright smile widening her features.

"Reece!" She exclaims, happy, and my throat feels like it's closing up. I set Luna down and make my way over to her, pressing my chest against her back and wrapping my arms around her waist. My chin rests on her shoulder, and I press a kiss to her cheek.

"Hey, baby."

Our stance brings me back to a year ago when I had kidnapped her and brought her to a cabin trip with me. Our first time making dinner was like this. Me, tucked against her back. Lina, rigid and unsure. The woman before me is so different from back then as she easily relaxes into my hold.