Chapter 4: The Party - Part 2

You raise the glass to your lips again. "Yep. Im here." You say before taking a drink.

"Late to your own party, huh?" Tony jabs.

You roll your eyes. "Let's not pretend like this party is actually for me. It's just to get in good with the people who really matter."

"And let's not forget why we need to get in good with them." Tony raises his eyebrows at you, referring to all the damage you had caused months ago. You clench your jaw tightly. "You're going to be the newest Avenger. You want the important people to trust you because everyone else trusts them." He adds.

"I know." You mumble and take a quick few gulps of your drink. You weren't drunk enough for this.

"Alright," Wanda gently grabs the glass from your hands and pulls it away from your lips. "Let's not get wasted before this thing really even starts." She sets the drink back on the bar. You throw her a look.

"Good call, Maximoff. Don't let her get too fucked up." Tony points at Wanda and then at you.

You groan. "Come on. I can't talk to these people sober."

"No one said anything about being sober. Just don't be stumbling over yourself drunk. You have people to impress." Tony says. "Just enjoy yourselves and don't go off anywhere. I'm going to announce you here soon." Tony eyes you and then disappears into the sea of people.

You let out a heavy breath and run a hand through your hair, sitting back down on the barstool behind you. Nat leans over the counter on her elbows, her lips inches away from your ear. "Don't worry. I'll sneak you whatever you need." She whispers with a wink, though you couldn't see it.

You grin slightly and Wanda throws Natasha a nasty glare. Nat puts her hands up innocently and then backs away to go help other people awaiting their drinks.

Wanda steps in front of you, taking your hands and tangling her fingers in yours. "Did I mention how much I love you?" She beams, successfully lightening the mood.

You grin and shake your head. "Low blow pulling that card."

"It worked, didn't it?"

"Yes." You mumble, receiving a satisfied smile from Wanda. Just as you were about to say something else, a man dressed in a sharp suit walks up next to the two of you. Wanda steps back to stand next to you when she notices him.

"Sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to introduce myself." The man extends his hand to Wanda to be shaken and then to you. "My name is Matthew Zenith, new owner and CEO of Zenith National Bank."

You shake his hand and stand up from the barstool. "Nice to meet you. My name is-"

The man cuts you off. "I know who you are." He says, his smile a little too wide. Matthew looked to be in his early thirties, with a full head of brown hair and kind blue eyes.

You raise an eyebrow in response to being cut off and he quickly speaks again.

"I have just recently replaced my father as CEO of Zenith bank after his passing and figured it would be good to introduce myself. You see, my father and Tony Stark were allies in business and they helped fund each other's projects. That included the Avengers. As the new CEO, I intent to follow in my father's footsteps and keep that alliance strong." He looks between you and Wanda.

Wanda clears her throat. "I'm sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure you're going to make an incredible CEO." She says, just trying to fill the empty air.

Matthew nods. "Well, this is all very new to me. I worked in the technical department of Zenith bank for many years, you know, just crunching numbers and doing computer stuff. My father was very adamant about keeping the Zenith name where the power is, though." He explains.

Matthew looks over his shoulder and then back at the two of you. "I have to move on, but it was lovely meeting the two of you. If either of you ever need assistance of any kind, please don't hesitate to contact me." He pulls two business cards out of his suit pocket and hands them to you before disappearing into the crowd.

You shove the cards into your own pocket and exhale deeply. "That was weird." You mumble and reach for your drink again.

"That's what business people do, I guess." Wanda says as she grabs a flute of champagne from a passing waiter.

The music playing in the background fades out, causing everyone to look up. "May I have everyone's attention for a few moments?" Tony calls out, standing on one of the chairs.

Once everyone is looking at him, he steps off of the chair. "Most of you already know why we're here this evening. We are here to celebrate the newest addition to our team. The latest Avenger."

The people erupt into applause and it takes Tony a moment to calm them down again.

"I'd like to introduce you to her. (y/n), can you step over here for a moment?" Tony makes eye contact with you from across the room and holds out his hand, beckoning you toward him. Everyone turns to look at you, and some mummers break through the silence.

You were expecting the announcement, but you had never had this many eyes on you before. Your heart pounds in your chest. Wanda nudges your shoulder, and with that, you make your way over to where Tony stood.

He places a hand on your shoulder. "This, everyone, is (y/n). She has proven herself to be a great asset to us and has without a doubt earned the title of Avenger."

A moment passes, and then the crowd breaks into applause again. It seemed the majority of them were excited to see you officially joining the Avengers, or maybe they were just excited to make money off of you.

Through the noise, Tony leans down to your ear. "Don't prove me wrong, kid."