Chapter 3: Into the Chamber

As soon as the clouds parted and the surface below could be seen, Link noticed that there was something wrong. He drew in a quick breath and tugged on his loftwing's feathers until it slowed down. The whole forest was submerged under water, flooded just like the first time.

Link led his loftwing to a supportive bough on the Great Tree which stood half out of the water. Link didn't quite know what to do, so there he stayed for a while, watching the glassy ripples rise and fall gently as if the water was breathing. A log floating by caught his attention because there was a small, fragile human on it.

"Grannie?" Link hollered in question and with a smile creeping to his lips.

"Hello, Link," came her distant reply. He hesitated, unsure whether she wanted help onto something sturdier or not. Then he spotted Groose dog-paddling to the log a distance away. Link was surprised at his progress, knowing that he had never swum in such deep water before. Skyloft only had a lake.

"I'll protect you, Grannie!" His occasional choking and irregular splashing betrayed his words though. He definitely needed more help than she. Link hopped on his loftwing and soared down to Groose.

He thrust a hand out to him. "Grab on."

He scowled. "No way, I don't need help from a wimp like you! I can do this just fine on my own."

Typical, always acting in adversity around Link, but he knew he had earned this bully turned friend his respect ever since they teamed up to defeat the Imprisoned. He couldn't help a small smile.

"Alright."

His loftwing, understanding his master's unspoken command, clawed him out of the water and carried him to the log despite the struggling and objecting from the boy.

"What's going on?" Link asked Impa, frowning.

Impa looked up at Link from under her tall, pointed hood which covered most of her face. "I sense an evil, that's for sure. Something from another world, but that's as far as I can detect. You will have to talk to Faron to understand more about this phenomenon," she added.

Groose, who kept Impa from swaying, only glanced at Link with unwavering eyes. His confidence in him melted its way into Link until his expression corresponded to Groose's.

"Take care of Grannie while I'm gone."

"Do what you gotta do, Link. You can count on me to do the protecting over here."

Satisfied, Link flew off to find Faron.

It didn't take long finding her. It was easy spotting a giant, blue dragon. He found her standing still on the water, her eyes fixed on the distance. He followed her gaze and immediately understood the meaning of all the water. Lava poured down Eldin Volcano and was on its way to Faron Woods. Thankfully, the Water Dragon had foreseen the danger approaching and had acted upon fashioning a solution quickly. It seemed, though, that flooding her domain was her number one specialty.

So the real question is what's up with Eldin Volcano? Link reasoned.

"Water Dragon," he called to her. "What's going on? Impa mentioned something about a foreign evil. Can you feel me in?"

She looked over her shoulder as Link approached, not even bothering to smile or greet him. "That's Faron, warden of the woods, for you, impudent human," she growled.

"Oh right..Faron. Hey, I have a name too, you know. It so happens to be Link, chosen one."

"Cut it short. What do you want?" She demanded, dismissing his argument too quickly which made him raise an eyebrow, slightly peeved by it. He repeated his question anyway.