SF // 1666

I'm leaning over a water bucket, the kind that's used for pigs. my hands are covered in blood. 

'Sarah!' a familiar voice calls. her eyes shine with happiness and she's carrying a large bag of fresh vegetables. 'look what the Bermans gave me!' 

i find myself smiling back at her. 'excellent, Y/N. you must thank Constance for me.' 

Y/N raises her eyebrows at me. 'how many survived?' she cocks her head to the side. 'oh please tell me they all lived.' 

'they are all alive,' i respond cheerily. 'henry is with them in the barn.' 

'great!' Y/N gives me a quick smile, before rushing into the barn. my sister, i think to myself. henry is my brother. 

I'm Sarah Fier. 

'the full moon rises before nightfall-' another familiar voice says from behind me. 

'Hannah,' i jump slightly, running over to greet her. 'sorry about my hands.' i quickly hide them behind my back, giving her an appologetic look. 'it's good to see you. how's your father doing?' 

Hannah purses her lips. 'not so good.' 

'do you know what is the matter with him?' 

'not in the slightest,' Hannah replies. 'we've had the doctor from the Vale come in and everything. no one can make a proper diagnosis.' 

'i'm so sorry,' I say. 'if there's anything i can do to help-' 

'that's okay,' Hannah says quietly. 'just having you around is...nice.' 

'Hannah...' I trail off. 'about the other night-' 

'don't mention it,' Hannah swallows hard. 'that was fun, but it can't happen again.' 

'i know,' i say quickly, though my heart breaks slightly. 'i was about to say that. anyways, give your father my regards.' i nod at her, turning away. 

'i'm sorry, Sarah,' Hannah calls after me. 'will i see you tonight, at the party?' 

'i should hope you will,' i give a brief nod. 

'i really do wish things were different,' 

i turn around one last time, staring at her, taking in every feature.

'me too.' 

'look,' Henry says to me, pointing at the small black piglets. 'they really do look healthy, don't they?' 

'they do,' i nod genuinly. 'you did a fine job, saving them all.' 

'is father coming home tonight?' Y/N inquires, shouldering her vegetables. 'i thought maybe we could all have soup together.' 

i shake my head sadly. 'he's not, i'm afraid. he has buisiness to attend to in Vale.' 

'of course he does,' Y/N mutters softly. 'i'm going to bring these vegetables inside, and then i'm going to see Constance.' 

'okay,' i say. 'be back before nightfall, and i will have set out food for you.' 

'must you go to the party?' Henry raises his eyebrows. 

'you'll be fine without me,' I say. 'Go and stay with one of your friends.' 

Henry dips his head. 'i've already made plans.' 

'good,' i look at Y/N. 'and you've invited Constance for tea, tonight?' 

'mhm,' Y/N avoids eye contact. 'I hope you enjoy your party.' 

'don't stay up too late,' i say, giving her one last glance. 

'yes, of course,' Y/N brushing her hands off on her dress and heading inside. 

i sigh after her. having our father away hasn't been easy. that i know. 

along with that, she and Constance have been figuring out...things, which must be even more difficult and complicated. i do recall the day i first realized i had feelings for Hannah Miller. it was the same day i realized i was different. 

a darkness, as my father called it. he sensed it in me, and he knew that Y/N would be the same. to be completely honest, i don't see how loving someone can be a darkness. sure, i don't love the same as he does, but that does not make me any less valid. perhaps i was born in the wrong time. 

i do not pretend to understand everything of this world, nor should i. 

on my way to the water well, i pass Lizzie Schmidt. 

'Good afternoon,' Lizzie smiles politely at me. 'the full moon rises before nightfall.' 

'a good night to enjoy the fruits of the land,' i reply. 'will you be attending the party - or gathering i should say?' 

'yes,' Lizzie says. 'i wouldn't miss it for the world.' 

'see you there,' i wave quickly, stopping at the well. 

'Dear Sarah,' a deep voice drawls. 'fancy seeing you here.' 

'Soloman,' i put on my best fake smile. 'it is nice to see you too.' 

'would you like to have dinner with me tonight?' his words come out well rehearsed. i know for a fact that all the other girls of the village would be swooning, though there is soemthing about him that i can't stomach. 

'i'm sorry, but i have prior commitments,' i say slowly. 'perhaps you can find someone else. someone better.' 

'ah but there is no one quite as good as you, Sarah,' his eyes trail down me before he tips an imaginary hat, winking. 

i don't move until he's fully disappeared. 

there's something about Soloman Goode that i simply do not trust. 

___

For some reason this chapter got published before 'the truth' and it's supposed to go after...so please go back and read the last chapter.